Forum Nigeria

Forum of expats in Nigeria: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Considering moving to Nigeria

Discussion in 'Nigeria' started by Ni, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ni

Ni New Member

City:
    England
    Hi guys

My partner wants me to join him in Nigeria.

My concerns are as follows, I would need to get a job before I could relocate. I currently work in customer services. I have built up a small business part time which in wedding/celebration cakes and my intention was to make this a full time business. I would have to start afresh if I relocated and I have built up a good reputation and client base. Looking at jobs in Nigeria it seems a degree is essential this is something I don't have. I would need a job to get me started and could then start to re-build my cake empire...But would I be able to get a job and where/how?

Also I have a young son who has a disablity, how would life be for him in Nigeria? Would he be accepted?

There are so many different aspects to consider, finding a job, school fees for the british school, how does medical care work there? Would we make friends there?

Can anyone offer any advice or insight please?

Thanks

Ni

2. dilli_23

dilli_23 New Member

Hi Ni

Just saw your post & thought I would offer you some information to consider, if you need further information do let me know.

Firstly, Nigeria is a big country and with many different cities as such unless you state which city your partner is based in then it would be difficult to further assist you on the information you need pertaning to how things are run in that city. Different cities are more developed than others.

So for example if you know the city your partner is in then one can better advise on the job situation. Whilst yes a degree, is necessary somewhat in Nigeria, as an expartriate, years of work experience would count significantly iin your favour especially if you have expert knowledge on the subject. Sometimes having a degree is worth nothing compare to years of experience, it is upto you to ensure that, this come across in your CV/ application.

The best way to ease yourself in to any new country is really through work, the kind of job you can get again depends on which city you are based in. You don't state where you are from, but you will most likely have an embassy in in a couple of the cities aand initially you might want to contact them and offer to do some volunteer work for them, be it customer service, PA, even reception work. Most embassies in Nigeria tend to hold international events every couple of months, if you initially volunteer your services to them whilst you look for work, this will serve several of your needs.

A) you will get to meet other expatriates, who will further help you to integrate in the country and advise you further on how to go about working, getting a job, they will also advise you on shcools etc and this method will also help you in finding friends initially.

B) Whilst volunteering you can also introduce your cakes to the people and offer to supply cakes pastries etc for lunches and events and if you are as good as you say the word will get around fast.

Again I have to state that Nigeria is a huge place, it is not just one city or town as such you might live in nigeria for over 20 years and not ever go to the North or the East or the South, they are vastly different places, hence you need to know which part of Nigeria you are going to be based in.

There are many many expatriates in Nigeria, French, Italian, Lebanese, Chinese, Spanish, gosh name a country thats not in NIgeria.... as such there are many establishments that have been set up to cater for people. You will find fantastice Italian delis with gorgeous Italian sausages, pasta etc, Lebanese resturants, etc , what I am gettingt at is how good are your cakes, can they compete...there are several french pastry shops that sell top of the range cakes , french pastries, fresh baguettes. One of the top pastry places, is a place called, Chocolat Royal owned by a french lebanese woman, they sell simply divine pastries and homemade ice cream, but they also have major competition.

There a place similar to Hotel Chocolat, which is a Uk chocolate company and they make fresh hand made chocolate different flavours, is owned by a nigerian. There are a couple of internationally trained and internationally renowed cake makers that have moved back to Nigeria to set them selves up and also teach the art of baking. these guys go world wide to bake for celebrities and there cakes have been featured in American Wedding magazines and they have won several American and international awards for cake design. What these people do is art really.

So again I ask how good are your cakes. However this also depends on where you partner is located, if he is not in one of the major cities then you will have the luxury to establish yourself with out much competition.

So cake and work over lets get onto your other topics.

Your partners location will really depend on how to advise further. You say your son has a disability, is this physical or otherwise. Does he need 24 hour care? Life should be fine for your son, there is no stigma to disabled children, there are other people with disabled children from various parts of the world.

Yes moving to ANY country is difficult and Nigeria is no different, like the USA, Nigerias medical care, is good but expensive as it is 85% private. Again you have health professionals from different parts of the world, but they do charge.

Schools are another major expense, again this all depends on which city or area of Nigeria you will be based in. For example in one of the major cities there are 2 very old British International Schools that state you can only get in if one of your parent or sibling is British same also for the American International school, however if your partner is a director or a high court judge or some top ranking offical in politics etc you will get in to those schools, they are very expensive and even with all that theres a waiting list and you still have to lobby..not worth the effort.

But then there are other international schools the French international school is opened to everyone and there are other British schools that are also opened to anyone, but they are all expensive, think in terms of private school rates, there are also other very good schools, that are not so called international, you will find that a number of other expatriates kids go to the these schools as they cannot afford to pay the private school rates and these shcool are just as good even better, but they do not hold the international name, so there is a divers mixture availiable.

Making friends in NIgeria isnot difficult, theres always something to do to bring people togther all the time, there are many clubs you can join (again this depends onthe city you are in). In one of the major cities, you have a Polo Club, where your son and other kids can learn to ride, Polo is a huge thing in NIgeria and we have many visiting Argentinia players that come for tournaments etc.

You have the golf club, the boat club, the yacht club and other general clubs, where you can go swim and kids can go play, learn to play tennis etc. Theres always something you can do and avenues to meet people.

Ok now that I have made it sound all lush and rosy, there are some major things you need to consider.

Medical care is good but expensive, how much medication does your son need? Is this a case that he needs to take medication 24 hour care. I ask as you will need to consider how to get his medication, again based on where you will be located, this is an important issue to consider, how much medication can you bring with you. Yes you can get medicine again depends on where you are, in one of the major cities, one can say there are about 2-3 very good pahrmastics and due to the fact that they are good and reliable, they sell out of items fast. as people will only go to them as such if you arenot quick they will have sold out and you will need to wait a couple more weeks for shipemnt of new stock.

Does he or do you have any special dietry needs, again food is not that expensive, but if you are looking for Soya and wheat free products, yes you can get them, but they will go quick and they tend to be more expensive, the supermarkets stock a wide range of products, but sometimes just check the sell by date.

Safety is like anyother country, if you are blinged out head to toe walking the streets and generally looking like a lost tourit...yes you will get people who will relieve you of your posessions, as such if you are walking the streets, walk with purpose, smile and keep moving, no one is going to trouble you or attack you, its not really that sort of place, yes someone might try to pick your pocket but again do not walk around with pockets easy to pick. Be sensible where ever you are, most important, make friends with the local street seller, they have small stalls in most streets and sell sweets and niknaks, like candles, matches, lighters, cigarettes, fruits, peanuts, which are all abundant there...anyway if you make friends with them, by buying some sweets and peanuts etc, they will look out for you and warn you of whom to watch out for, whos behaving or misbehaving along the street and they are a good source of local street gossip.

I hope that gives you initial food for thought, again if you need further information am happy to help, you just need to state where partner is located so the advise will be better suited to where you are going as oppose to just general.

D