Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Confirmation of Citizenship/Passports

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by Teenz12, May 8, 2009.

1. Teenz12

Teenz12 New Member

City:
    New Zealand
    PLEASE NOTE: I have copied this thread into "Polish Citizenship Confirmation [Part 3]." Please go there for further discussion on this thread.

Hi, I'm a newbie. Great forum!

I'm a first generation New Zealander and my mother, myself and my children are eligible for Polish citizenship. The Polish Embassy will handle our applications. I have conflicting information on a couple of points and would love some clarification.

First: Can all three generations apply for confirmation of citizenship at once, or do we have to get confirmation of citizenship for my mother before applying for myself and so on?

Secondly: Do each of us need confirmation of citizenship before then applying for passports as a separate transaction, or, can myself and my children skip directly to applying for passports once we have confirmation of citizenship for my mother?

Would appreciate some light on this.

2. siuniab

siuniab Active Member

City:
    Warsaw
    Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Canadian (CA)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi:

Yes, you can "bundle" multiple confirmations for family members in one "package".

Re: Passports. Each individual applying for a Polish passport must have already been "confirmed", before proceeding to the passport application stage. Unfortunately, you must get the confirm, before proceeding to passport stage.

I would encourage you to post in the citizenship thread (part 3), you'll get more readers, and likely more help.

Cheers,

Here is a itemized list (courtesy of curiousgeorge):
    To get a Polish Passport you can apply directly in Poland, or let a Polish consulate handle everything for you. If you do it at the consulate, it takes significantly longer, not to mention you need more documents and if there are any issues, you won’t have the opportunity to reply with additional supporting documentation. The down side of having someone in Poland do it for you is quite obvious....you need to know someone in Poland willing to go through the trouble to help you out.

(1) Birth Certificates: Get 2 copies of long form originals of your birth certificate showing the name(s) of your Polish parents.

(2) Marriage Certificates: If you are married, get 2 copies of your long form marriage certificate.

(3) Passports: Get your current unexpired passport from all countries where you have citizenship.

(3a) Military Enrollment: Get proof of any military enrollment, whether in Poland or abroad.

(4) Parents' Birth Certificates: If your parent(s) were born in Poland, get their long form birth certificate(s) (i.e. “zupelny” NOT “skrucony”). If you don't have the long form you'll need to get it from the Urzad Stanu Cywilnego where they were born. If you apply at the Urzad Stanu Cywilnego in Warsaw, they will forward the request to the appropriate wojewodstwo where each parent was born. (Note: If your parents were not born in Poland and your lineage is based on your grand-parents, then start over in step (1) and get your parent's foreign birth registered first, repeat if necessary for your grand-parents, depending on where your lineage links you back to Poland.) If your second parent was not born in Poland, their information is irrelevant, and you can skip this step for the non-Polish parent.

(4a) Parents' Military Enrollment: Get proof of any military enrollment that your parents had, whether in Poland or abroad.

(5) Parents' Marriage Certificate: If your parents were married in Poland get their Polish long form marriage certificate. (i.e. “zupelny” NOT “skrucony”) If you don't have the long form you'll need to get it from the Urzad Stanu Cywilnego where they were married. If you apply at the Urzad Stanu Cywilnego in Warsaw, they will forward the request to the appropriate province where your parents were married. (Note: If your parents were not married in Poland, then start over in step (1) and get their foreign marriage registered first, repeat if necessary for your grand-parents, depending on where your lineage links you back to Poland.)

(6) Parents' Polish Passports: Get your parent’s Polish passports (expired or not). If they never had a passport, or simply never left Poland, this step is optional. If they had passports, it helps if you provide them.

(7) Parent's Immigration / Emigration Docs: Get your parent’s exit visa, or immigration travel voucher, or immigrant visa, or anything that shows how they exited Poland. Ideally this document should state that they are citizens of Poland. If they never left Poland, this step is optional of course.

(8) Apostille / Legalization: If the country where (1), (2), (3), (3a), (4a), and (7) originated from has signed the Hague Convention, then all you need to do is get an apostille for each of the documents at the civil office in the country where the documents were issued, and get them translated by an official translator, or at the Polish consulate. If the country where (1), (2), (3), (3a), (4a) and (7) originated from has NOT signed the Hague Convention then you’ll need to get (1), (2), (3), (3a), (4a) and (7) legalized and translated by the Polish consulate in the country where the documents were issued. If you live in a different country now, these documents still need to be legalized in the Polish consulate where they originated, since only the Polish consulate in that country will be able to determine if they are authentic. Here is a list of countries that signed the Hague Convention:
    http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/c1268.htm

(9) Name Change: If you're married, and your name is now different than it was at birth, you will need to register your marriage in Poland with the Urzad Stanu Cywilnego in Warsaw using (1), (2), (4), and the legalized translations you got in (8), so that your name is correct on the Polish birth certificate that you will get in step (10). They actually give you a birth certificate with your married name.

(9a) Divorce: If you’re divorced, and your marriage is already registered in Poland, and you have reverted back to your maiden name, or if you performed a legal name change, you’ll have to get a legalized and translated copy of the certified copy of your divorce records or name change document issued by the government organization that granted the divorce or legal name change. You would send these records to the Polish court so that they can issue a decision on your civil status change. If you once lived in Poland, you need to send it to the court in the wojewodswto in your last place of residence. If you never lived in Poland, send it here:
    Sądu Okręgowego w Warszawie
    skrytka pocztowa 220
    00-958 Warszawa.

(10) Polish Birth Certificate: Register your birth in Poland at the Urzad Stanu Cywilnego in Warsaw using (1), (2), (4), and the legalized translations you got in (8), and the Polish marriage certificate you got in (9) & (9a). Make sure you get the long form Polish Birth Certificate. They will give you three copies one of which you will need for step (11) below.

(11) Polish Citizenship: If you are not in possession of a current, unexpired Polish Passport showing your current name, then apply for Proof of Polish Citizenship using (3), (3a), (4), (4a), (5), (6), (7) the legalized copies you got in (8), and also your long form Polish Birth Certificate you got in (10). You will also need to know the following information when filling out the application form, the same information will need to be provided in the zyciorys if you are applying at the consulate, instead of in person in Poland:
    ...(I) - Your Full Name
    ...(II) - Your Date of Birth
    ...(III) - Your Place of Birth
    ...(IV) - Parent’s names (this is where your parent’s birth certificates will come in handy to reduce any errors in spelling, or translations. This information will be a key piece in determining whether your parents are still Polish citizens, since their records will be searched for any hints of the citizenship having been renounced.)
    ...(V) - Mother’s maiden name
    ...(VI) - Your last address in Poland (if you ever lived in Poland)
    ...(VII) - List countries where you have a valid passport, and the dates those passports expire. Preferably provide a legalized & translated copy of the passports.
    ...(VIII) - Details on how you emigrated from Poland, if you ever lived in Poland (when, to which country, and using what type of documents or visas) If it was your parents who emigrated, then provide their info instead.
    ...(IX) - What other citizenships have you been granted? (dates, and explain how you qualified, and how it was obtained or granted)
    ...(X) - A statement confirming that you did or did not renounce your Polish citizenship
    ...(XII) - Which Polish consulate are you under the jurisdiction of at your current place of residence?
    ...(XIII) - Any other supporting factual evidence proving your Polish citizenship. This probably comes into play if you don’t have the other documents I listed above, and/or if your lineage to Poland starts with a grand parent or great-grand parent.
    For more info on submitting the application in person go here:
    http://www.mazowsze.uw.gov.pl/news.php?id=885

(12) PESEL: If you do not have a PESEL number then attach (9), (10), (11), and (12) to the PESEL application, and apply for a PESEL number at the same time as (13).

(13) Polish Passport: Apply for a Passport at the consulate using (9), (10), (11) (11 is not needed if you have an unexpired Polish passport), together with (12), a copy of a local ID card such as a driver’s license or document showing your address of residence (this is used to determine which consulate has jurisdiction over your area), and 3 Polish passport photos, which you cannot assume match the dimensions of your local country, so get the right dimensions from the consulate. Children under the age of 5, need not attach (9), (10), (11) or (12), as an original birth certificate from the country where they were born will suffice in addition to one of the parent’s unexpired Polish passports. Both parents must sign the application for a child under 5 years of age. If both parents cannot sign the application then a notarized letter of consent from the second parent must be attached. All passport applications regardless of age of the applicant must be submitted in person at the Polish consulate. For some people this is a true inconvenience due to distance and time, (for example, I live 1600 kms away from my consulate). The consulate will probably only excuse people who are not physically able to make the trip and those people must write a letter explaining why they cannot appear in person.

You must do this in this order.

Ether way you need to get (1), (2), (3), (3a), (4), (4a), (5), (6) , and (7) all done before you proceed.

You must use the originals of (1), (2). and (8), this is not an option. The Polish authorities will keep these originals.

You will need to do (8) at the Polish consulate in the country where (1), (2), (3) and (7) originated from, OR if you're just getting an apostille, then the civil office in the country where (1), (2), (3), and (7) originated from can give you that.

Then:

You can do (9), (9a), (10), (11), (12), and (13) at the Polish consulate where you live (Australia?). In addition you would also need to attach the following information:
    a) “życiorys”, or a resume signed and dated in which you would provide among other things:
    ...i) when and how your foreign citizenship(s) were granted
    ...ii) the citizenships your parents had upon your birth
    ...iii) whether both parents had Polish citizenship
    ...iv) whether either of your parents ever renounced their Polish citizenship
    ...v) when and how did your parents end up in their current country.
    b) Naturalization act for all of you citizenships, if not acquired by birth.
    c) Proof of legal residence or legal status in the country where you currently reside, if you are not a citizen of this country.
    d) A statement explaining that nether you nor your parents ever renounced Polish citizenship.
    e) A statement listing all foreign citizenships.
    f) Two photos that match the Polish passport photo requirements.
    g) Any other relevant documents produced by a Polish government office.

(a), (d), and (e) need to be in Polish and signed before a consular officer.
    (f) needs to be signed before a consular officer.
    (b), and (c) need to be translated and legalized by the Polish consulate, or translated with an apostille, where appropriate.

This path would take about 18-24 months, maybe longer, not to mention that the list of information is much longer than the next option.

Or.................................................................................................

If you know someone in Warsaw, you can go to the Polish consulate and get a power of attorney for use in Poland, and also get (8) done at the same time. Your contact in Warsaw can use all the docs (1), (2), (3), (3a), (4), (4a), (5), (6), (7), (8), and the Polish power of attorney to get you (9), (10) and (11). All this would take about 2 months for your contact in Warsaw to obtain. Then once you get these back from the person in Warsaw, using (9), (10) and (11) the Polish consulate that has jurisdiction over your area could then help you get (12) and (13) at the same time, which could take about 6 months to get.

Tip: Although the Polish authorities will return all originals except (1), (2), and (8), things have a tendency of getting lost (i.e. stolen) in the mail in Poland, so you may not feel comfortable including originals if you don't need to. If you don't want to use the originals from (3), and (7), then you can go to the Polish consulate in the country where each of these were issued, and get legalized copies. If you don't want to send the originals for (4), (5), and (6) then you can go to the Polish consulate where you live, and just get legalized copies of each.

The bottom line is if you know someone in Poland, this path is a LOT faster than going to the Polish consulate for everything. It would take anywhere between 3 to 9 months depending on the complexity of your specific case.

3. Teenz12

Teenz12 New Member

City:
    New Zealand
    Thanks very much Suiniab for your reply. I have posted my query on the thread suggested.

4. mojsze

mojsze New Member

Hello:

i would like to know if my aunt can confirm her citizenship while in poland (and how long can it take)

this is the case

few years ago i applied for my Polish passport and i had to also confirm my grandmother (her father was polish) citizenship and my mother citizenship

so everything went ok and after many months my grandma, my mother and me got the confirmation and few months later the passports

at that time my aunt was abroad ,so she couldnt sign the papers so the embassy didnt send her papers to poland

if my grandma now have the citizenship and the green birth certificate is it possible for my aunt to confirm her citizenship while we are in vacations in poland? in that case what kind of papers she needs?

or she needs to send again my greatgrandparent documents my grandma documents and her documents

Thanks