Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Car insurance in UK for a non EU license holder.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pvgslf, Dec 27, 2007.

1. pvgslf

pvgslf New Member

Hello all, first post here, though I've been lurking for a long time, and have even been used in examples by a friend of mine who is a frequent poster here!

My wife (chinese) and I (british) have now returned to the UK to settle and set up home. She has held a full chinese driving license for over 5 years now.

I'm well versed on the rules and regs governing driving in the UK on a foreign license, and know she can drive without any learner restrictions for one year before she must take her test. I see this as a cost effective way of getting her used to driving in the UK, and hopefully she will only need a minimum of lessons to ready her for the test.

This is all well and good except for the stipulation from most insurers that you must hold a full UK driving license to be insured, and the car we are looking to insure is unlikely to entertain insuring someone with a provisional license!

Does anybody have any advice/recommendations for insurers that do cover foreign licenses for the one year period you are allowed to drive on it in the UK?
    I've subsequently found a number of reasonable quotes using gocompare.com but would like to hear of an other experiences/pitfalls i need to look out for.

Thanks

2. angelika2010

angelika2010 New Member

City:
    madurai
    Living In:
    India
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english
    You should be ok getting insurance in your name, have you got a uk licence? You may also for a temporary period of time be able to add them onto your policy as named drivers although with them having a canadian licence you may struggle for a longer period. I've just had a look at a few companies who offer temporary cover but unfortunately they all state that the policy holder must be an eu or uk licence holder.