Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Can anybody tell me how much does it cost to live in the UK?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Princess Aurora, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Princess Aurora

hello everybody,

My name is Aurora and me and my husband are planning to move to the UK, so wot we want to know is how dear life really is there, as we have heard its very dear :confused:
    but can everybody tell us cost$?? ;) for example, how much can u spend for two persons light, gas, water etc bills?
    and off course, any other tip u want to give us are very welcome aswell! ;)

thanks and we are looking forward to hearing from ur replies :D

Aurora & Martijn :mrgreen:

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
  3. Princess Aurora

hmmm...

thanks for the link but its a strange machine, dont u think? lol :lol:
    i cant sellect the kind of money and those kind of things :confused:
    anyway, anybody else can tell me how much money we have to get together per month so that we could affoard a kind of "normal" life in the UK??
    We also have been thinking in sharing a flat or house for the first months if we cant affoard a place only for ourselfs, does anybody has any advise or tip related with this idea?

all the best! :thumbsup:

4. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    That depends on where do you live actually.
    For example, London is the most expensive place to live in the whole UK, then come other southern cities like Southampton.
    But as you move up the north, the prices become smaller.
    I am saying it on the basis of rent because that is the largest expense while living in UK. Other items like clothes, food, entertainment are almost the same everywhere even though public transport might slightly differ from place to place ( not talking about London because here the prices are ridiculous ).
    So first you have to see which city you are moving to, and then you can find out the rent for houses/flats/house-share on internet. That should give you the idea of how much would you have to spend. I would say don't worry about other things ( food, transport etc ) because, as I said, there is little difference from city to city.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

5. Princess Aurora

thanks for your reply Yousafzai!!

hey!

thanks for your post first of all! :D and well, we are thinking in moving to Exeter, mainly cause we got some friends there... and we have already thinking in the idea of sharing either a flat or house with some other people for the first months so that its not that dear... actually we are staying in Ochtrup, Germany, and although rents here are not that dear, groceries and other issues may be a bit dearing than other places in Europe, we always compare prizes from here with Holland, as my husband is dutch and we live very close to the dutch border...
    so could u or anybody else tell us any advise related with living with strangers in the UK lol i know it sounds strange but any advises or experiences are welcome! :thumbsup:

greatings! :D