Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ FR Assurance auto in UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lolobesse, Sep 14, 2010.

1. lolobesse

lolobesse New Member

City:
    grenoble
    Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    français, english, espanol
    I am french, I would like to drive my girlfriend's car in UK, she's a UK resident. the insurance ask her double the price to put me as an aditional driver, it's 3 years i'm driving in Uk with her car but I don't want to pay so much monney anymore. It wouldn't be the case if I would have an UK driving licence apparently. Any suggestion?
    - can I have a UK driving license as well as a french one?
    - do I have to do the full test or is there a quick test for someone who already have a driving license?
    - is there an other way to be alowed to drive her car without paying double the price?
    - any insurance dealing with french in Uk to recomand?
    - any other recomandations?
    thank you
    Laurent

2. ladyliberty

ladyliberty New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    If you hold a valid French license, you should be able to exchange it for a UK license. However, you will need to surrender your Frence license to do this. You cannot hold both licenses simultaneously. Here is a little question and answer thing that will let you know if you are eligible for an exchange without taking the UK driving test: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Motor ... icence.dsb

However, I think you will find that this may not have a huge effect on your insurance rates because you may still be considered an "unexperienced UK driver". My suggestion would be to call an insurance broker in the UK and get them to give you a quote with your French license and with a UK license and see if it would be worth exchanging for a UK one.