Forum Immigration France

Forum of expats in Immigration France: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN As an American, if I had a kid with my French girlfriend...

Discussion in 'Immigration France' started by jenvoiedulourd, Aug 19, 2012.

1. jenvoiedulourd

jenvoiedulourd New Member

Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English French
    Hello

As an American, if my French girlfriend and I were to have a baby, would I be legally allowed to live with her in France? My girlfriend lives in France and I live in the US. When I come to visit her, it's as a tourist, so I do not have a visa. Well, it appears we're going to have a child together and of course we plan on living and raising the child together in France. Concerning the administrative process, what do I have to do in order to be allowed to live with her in France?

I'd like to point out that her coming to the USA is just not a possibility (way too complicated for her) and that I do speak French; however, I do not have much money.

Thanks

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    The Guide to Paris offers information on visas & passports in France that may be of use to you. Since you wish to stay long-term, you will probably need residence. The main issue with this route seems to be your lack of funds:

Unfortunately, I am unclear if having a child will automatically give you any additional rights. Marriage is obviously the easiest option. Anyone else have information/experience?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...