Published 2017-08-07 09:59:32
I’m Katie, a travel blogger from Manchester, UK now living in Melbourne, Australia.
1. Why did you move abroad?
I was desperate to go travelling but I knew I couldn’t travel forever so I decided to come to Australia to work and extend my trip. My trip to Barcelona in 2013 was my first hostel experience - I had the best time and knew I needed to go on a big trip.
2. How do you make a living?
I work in digital marketing as a Content Manager for a global media agency. I had a similar job back in the UK which made the transition across much easier.
3. How often do you communicate with home and how?
I use WhatsApp and Facetime. WhatsApp allows me to send a quick message to friends and family and I Facetime my parents on Sunday evenings.
4. What's your favorite thing about being an expat in Australia?
It’s made me feel more proud to be British – I appreciate where I come from a lot more now.
5. What’s the worst thing about being an expat in Australia?
Everyone tends to assume I’m from London!
6. What do you miss most?
I miss my family and friends more than anything. Some days I really wish I could jump on a plane home for a few hours.
7. What did you do to meet people and integrate in your new home?
Working in the media industry is very sociable and there tends to be a lot of other expats in the office so I met quite a few people at work drinks.
8. What custom/ habits do you find most strange about your adopted culture?
Vegemite on toast. I can’t stand that stuff!
9. What is a myth about your adopted country?
That it’s always hot and sunny. Australia gets very cold in the winter, it even snows here!
10. Is the cost of living higher or lower than the last country you lived in and how has that made a difference in your life?
Yes the cost of living is much higher in Australia compared to England, however we get paid more here so it’s relative. I definitely have more disposable income to enjoy myself as well as putting money aside for savings.
11. What advice would you give other expats?
Travel the country you’ve moved to. I know a lot of expats living here that have never explored Australia! Definitely take some time to explore the country even if it’s on weekends. If you can, do a couple of weeks travelling before you start work.
12. When and why did you start your blog?
I started my blog
in June 2016. I was feeling very homesick and quite unmotivated in my job so I decided to create a place where I could talk about my experiences and write about travelling as it’s something that I love the most. I also wanted to share my advice on moving to Australia alone as the majority of travel blogs only document backpacking Australia or moving over as a family. It’s really given me something to focus on outside of work.
Katie's blog, Half A World Away
To find out more about living in Australia, refer to our
To be considered for an interview, add your blog to BlogExpat
Expat Content Editor