Departure to Lima

Passport, Visa & Permits to Lima

Home > Expat Guides > South America > Peru > Lima


You must have a valid passport to travel abroad. A passport is an official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship.

The process and cost associated with getting a passport can be high, so start the process at least six months before you plan to leave. Your passport must be valid 6 months beyond your intended stay.

Visas for Peru

A visa is a certificate placed on your passport or travel document to indicate that you are authorised to land in the State. This means that you will still be subject to immigration control at the point of entry to the State even if you have a visa.

Most of America and Western Europe countries do not require a tourist visa to enter Peru, and their maximum length of stay granted by the authorities is 183 days (it can not be extended). For a longer stay or with other objectives (business, study, work, etc.) it is necessary to previously apply for the corresponding visa to the Peruvian consulates.

In any case, to enter Perú, it is an essential requirement to present a valid passport. Citizens of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Venezuela and Chile can enter with their national identification document.

Who needs a visa?

Visa required

You will need a visa if you are a citizen of one of the countries marked with a YES (sí)

If you travel to Perú with any other means that "tourism". For example, to work, to study, if you are a journalist or an artist, etc.

No visa required

You do not need a visa to land in Perú if you are an European or American citizen, or from Oceania (with very few exceptions included) and the purpose of the trip is to travel the country within the days you are allowed to. Check the complete list of countries in the linked table.

Citizens from any South American country are exempt of a visa requirement

Note that country agreements may change occasionally. We recommend you contact your closest Peruvian embassy/consulate to check on your specific situation.

Types of Visas for Peru

If you travel to Perú with any other means that tourism, (for example work, study, if you are a journalist or an artist, etc.) you will have to apply for a valid visa.

  • Tourist Visas:
    • This visit/holiday visa will not exceed a maximum of 183 days.
    • The requirements for those countries that are in need of a visa application, before entering the country, are: Reservation of hotel or tourist package that evidences its quality of tourist, proof of economic solvency that is proportionate to the time they request to remain in Perú, an entry fee of 30 PEN – US $9.
  • Business visas: In order to enter the country under a business visa and on behalf or representation of a foreign company you must show: Economic solvency letter of the foreign company that represents you during your stay in Perú, prove that you have sufficient financial funds to cover all expenses during your stay in the country and a letter from the Peruvian company, when the trip is linked to a specific national counterpart, indicating the reason and term thereof. An fee of 30S - US$9 is also required.
  • Student visas: You must be coordinated with the educational institution in Perú that you will be enrolled in, in order to complete the procedures at the National Migration Superintendence and issue the visa. The general requirements are: Certificate of registration issued by the Educational Centre with official recognition endorsed by a governmental authority, poof of your economic means for your sustenance. (bank statements, scholarships, etc.), and an economic fee of 15S – US $5.
  • Seasonal work: In order to enter the country as a "seasonal worker", for example in agriculture sector, any specific project, etc. You will need to complete the following requirements: Present a valid passport for at least 6 months, 2 passport size colour photographs (35 x 43 mm) with white background, an airline ticket (round trip), a legal work contract and to fill the Visa application form DGC-005, with black ink, your signature and a fingerprint declaring both the address and a reachable telephone number in Perú. A fee of 25S – US $7.5 is also required.

Visa with Work Permit for Peru

You can travel to Perú with your working place already assigned. However, if you first want to travel to the country as a tourist to settle down before you look for a working position, you can also do than before your tourist visa expires.

In this case, the procedures to follow if you want to travel to the country and see the opportunities that may arise are:

  • Simple photocopy of valid passport or Identity Card Protocol (diplomatic, consular and official), as appropriate, or Andean Migration Card (for temporary only).
  • No visa is required, for some countries, on ordinary passport if the object of the trip is tourism up to 90 days or 180 days, depending on the option you choose.
  • It is possible to process an extension of permanence at the Migrations General Directorate. Once your visa expires, you will have to pay a fine of 1 dollar for each additional day of permanence if the extension has not been processed.
  • It is obligatory to keep the Andean Migration Card, duly completed, which is delivered upon entering Perú.
  • Look for a work position
  • Present the following documents to the National Superintendence: Original and copy of current passport and the Andean Migration Card (TAM), payment in the Banco de la Nación for the permit (S16 – US$5) and the Migratory Quality Visa Change - F004 property filled in, in order to change your visa status into resident/worker.

In those cases where the contract is established as a probationary period, it shall grant temporary visa until the fulfilment of that period; then the user may request the change to Resident Visa class.

The working/resident visa grants a holding period of three hundred sixty five (365) days, renewable for the same period.

For complete information about visas and institutional procedures, visit:

The National Superintendence

Find out more about the visa that suits you the best here.

Peruvian Citizenship

Peruvian citizenship is obtained in different ways. Most Peruvian citizens get their citizenship through birth or descent or naturalisation. However, if you are a foreign national who is either married to a Peruvian citizen or a civil partner of a Peruvian citizen, you can apply for Peruvian citizenship through spouse or civil partner of a Peruvian citizen.

How/Who can become a citizen of Peru?

For furthest information contact your nearest Peruvian embassy or consulate (visit "Public Services section") or Citizenship Division.

Update 7/05/2019


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Peru and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Lima, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).