Departure to Kuala Lumpur

Customs and import to Kuala Lumpur

Home > Expat Guides > Asia > Malaysia > Kuala Lumpur

Jabatan Kastam Diraja Malaysia, or Royal Malaysian Customs, controls all items entry into the country.

Free Imports into Malaysia

  • 200 cigarettes or 225g of tobacco (There is no information on age restriction)
  • 1L of alcohol
  • Personal goods
  • New and unused items as follows: one pair of new shoes or up to three items (or pairs) of new clothing
  • Gifts and souvenirs worth up to RM 400 (or if the items are coming from Langkawi, Pulau Tioman or partnership they cannot exceed RM 500)
  • Electrical equipment (only one unit of a particular appliance)
  • Commercially produced foodstuff worth up to RM 75

Prohibited Imports into Malaysia

  • Narcotics
  • Pornography
  • Counterfeit items
  • Explosive material

Restricted Imports into Malaysia

  • Live animals - health certificate required along with complete and valid inoculations
  • Endangered species and any products or parts thereof as outlined by CITES maybe be brought in only with CITES permission
  • Medication - in original packaging and with original labels accompanied by prescription or medical certificate
  • Weapons and ammunition permissible only with authorization. Contact nearest embassy for more information
  • Currency - any negotiable instruments exceeding US$ 10,000 or foreign currency equivalent needs to be declared to the customs. Local currency exceeding RM 1,000 can be brought in only with permission from Controller of Office Exchange

Bringing Pets to Malaysia

To bring your pet abroad, you will need to plan and prepare well in advance. The Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) is responsible for the movement of live animals to and from Malaysia.

Jabatan Perkhidmatan Veterinar
Kementerian Pertanian & Industri Asas Tani
Wisma Tani, Blok Podium, Lot 4G1, Presint 4
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Perseketuan, 62624 Putrajaya
Tel : (603) 8870 2000
Fax: (603) 8888 6021

There is no restriction on the number of animals that can be imported by any person. Note that pets must be at least 3 months old, and some breeds of dogs are not available for import (inquire at the DVS for current list). To import exotic animals or wildlife as pets, you may also need to get approval from the Department of Wildlife and National Parks before applying for an import permit from the Department of Veterinary Services.

Taking your pet into Malaysia requires:

  • Microchipping - Though not required, a microchip that complies with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785 is strongly recommended for identification. Note that microchipping may be required for air travel and is required for travel in many other countries.
  • Vaccination - All pets must have an original Rabies Certificate and this certificate must state the microchip number, the date of inoculation and the validity of the particular vaccination you obtain - the rabies shot must have been given at least 30 days prior to export but within 1 year from date of export. There are no exceptions. This vaccine must be an inactivated vaccine. Dogs may also get full shots for Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parvo, and DHLPP. Cats may also be vaccinated against Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calcivirus, and Panleukopenia.
  • Certificate of good health (Form 7001) - Issued by a vet after an exam, this is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by an accredited Veterinarian.  Must be issued within 7 days of date of export. You can get an official form from the consulate or embassy of the country you are moving to or it is available on-line from the customs website.
  • Import License - Import licenses (Form A for live animals) are issued by the Director General of Veterinary Services. Permits can be issued immediately and are valid for 30 days from date of issue. Application forms should be submitted together with a copy of the pet's vaccination records and the import permit fee.
  • Import Fee - Currently five Ringgit Malaysia (RM 5.00) for each dog / cat. Fees can be paid by bank draft, money order or postal order. Those applying from outside Malaysia may apply by post or via a local representative in Malaysia. Permits issued within a day.

Pet Quarantine into Malaysia

Cats and Dogs may enter Malaysia without quarantine from:

  • United Kingdom
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Sweden
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Japan
  • Brunei
  • Singapore

Other countries require minimum seven day quarantine. Malaysia has 3 quarantine stations - at Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Padang Besar (Thai Border). You will be charged a boarding fee for the time your pet is in quarantine.

Transporting Pets to Malaysia

Some airlines allow pets to travel in an airplane's cabin, provided their cage is small enough to fit under your seat. Small birds may also be able to travel in the cabin, but tropical birds such as parrots are usually not allowed.

If your pet's cage does not fit under your seat, you will have to ship it as checked baggage. Since the outside air temperature also affects the temperature in the cargo bay, airlines may restrict the transportation of pets during certain times of the year.

Inquire directly with the airline for detailed information on requirements as these may differ between airlines. Check container dimensions before purchasing a cage or kennel.

Before leaving, acquaint your animal with the kennel or container. Add some familiar toys or some of your clothing items, so your pet has a sense of familiarity during the transport. Sedation of your pet during the trip is generally not recommended and should only be used as a last resort.

There are also pet relocation services that figure out all the details of the move. These services tend to be quite expensive, but take away the stress of doing it yourself. Get free quotes on our expat services site, Expat-Quotes Pet Relocation.

FAQ about pet import can be found on the DVS site:

Find out more about requirements on our article: Expat Pets: Bringing along Fido.

Custom's Resources

U.S. Citizens: The free pamphlet "Know Before You Go" at is very helpful. (Click on "Travel" and then click on "Know Before You Go! Online Brochure").
You can also contact:
U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
1300 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20229
Tel. 877/287-8667

Canadian Citizens: "I Declare", issued by the Canada Border Services Agency (tel. 800/461-9999 in Canada, or 204/983-3500) is helpful.

Australian Citizens: A helpful brochure is available from Australian consulates or Customs offices called "Know Before You Go". Call the Australian Customs Service at tel. 1300/363-263, or log on to

Update 3/06/2015


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Malaysia and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about customs and import to Kuala Lumpur, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).