Departure to Luxembourg

Passport, Visa & Permits to Luxembourg

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Luxembourg > Luxembourg

This section is intended for reference only. We strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up-to-date information that pertains to your specific situation.


You must have a valid passport to travel abroad. A passport is an official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship. The process and cost associated with getting a passport can be high, so start the process at least six months before you plan to leave. Your passport must be valid 6 months beyond your intended stay. Minors are allowed to travel on their parents' passports up until aged 15 years.


A visa is a stamp or endorsement placed by officials on a passport that allows the bearer to enter the country. Visas are obtained from the Embassy or consulates. Whether or not you need a visa to enter Luxembourg depends on a variety of factors: your nationality, the length of your intended stay, the reason for your visit or stay and what other documents you're applied for or received.

Who needs a visa?

Luxembourg is a member of the Schengen Agreement. There are no border controls between countries that have signed and implemented the treaty. For EU and EFTA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) citizens, an officially approved ID card or passport is sufficient for entry.

    Only nationals of the following non-EU/EFTA countries do not need a visa for entry into the Schengen Area. These visa-free visitors may not stay more than 3 months in half a year and may not work while in the EU:
  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Macedonia
  • Malaysia
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Seychelles
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan
  • United States
  • Uruguay
  • Vatican City
  • Venezuela

There are many other visas for people who are not part of the EU or EFTA.

Short Stay Visa

A short stay visa is available for people who want to stay in Luxembourg for a maximum of three month stay in a six month period. It is available for business, Schengen visits, or family visits. It is not possible to work on a short stay visa. The visa is valid for other member states in the Schengen Agreement. Most visas cost 60 euro.

Schengen Visa

This is the most common type of visa and allows freedom of movement within the nations of the Schengen agreement. You must apply for the visa of the country that is your primary destination during your stay, or where you will stay the longest or where you'll enter the Schengen zone.

There are three types of Schengen Visa.
Type A: Visa de transit aeroportuaire (Airport transit visa)
Allows transit in the international zone of airport transit. The visa does not allow access to the Schengen territory.
Type B: Visa de transit (Transit visa)
Allows the holder to pass through one or more Schengen states in order to get to another state. The necessary duration for this transit cannot exceed 5 days.
Type C: Visa de court sejour (Short stay visa)
Allows entry into the Schengen territory for a maximum uninterrupted stay of 90 days over a period of six months. The visa can be issued for single or multiple entry. In the event of multiple entries, the total duration of the different stays spent in the Schengen area cannot exceed 90 days over a period of six months.

    General Requirements (may vary slightly from country to country):
  • Valid passport (at least 3 months past your intended departure date)
  • Valid health insurance
  • Application form
  • Current photographs
  • Proof of the purpose of your stay
  • Confirmed lodging
  • Sufficient funds to cover the costs of your stay and a return airline ticket

Processing the application can take about a month, so apply early.

Study Visa

Short stays for study are administered by the Ministry of Justice. In addition to the Schengen Type C visa, applicants must supply an academic certificate.

Business Visa

In addition to the other short stay visa, there are similar requirements with the exception of not needing to prove funds and the additional documents of confirmation of an employing company.


Long-stay visas cannot be obtained or changed once you're in Luxembourg. Apply in advance for authorization to stay (Autorisation de séjour). Applications must be made to the Immigration Office:
Direction de l'Immigration du ministère des Affaires étrangères
Address: 12-16,avenue Monterey, L-2163 Luxembourg
Telephone: 24 78 40 40

    The most commonly-issued Autorisations de séjour are:
  • Autorisation de sejour d'un ressortissant de pays tiers en vue d'une activite salariee - For employees
  • Autorisation de sejour d'un ressortissant de pays tiers en vue d'une activite independante - For self-employed
  • Autorisation de sejour d'un ressortissant de pays tiers a des fins d'etudes - For students
  • Autorisation de sejour du membre de famille d'un ressortissant de pays tiers - For family members
  • Autorisation de sejour d'un ressortissant de pays tiers pour des raisons privees - For other reasons (i.e. retirement)
    Required Documents:
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage or divorce certificates
  • Application form
  • Passport-type photos
  • Medical certificate of good health from an approved doctor
  • Certificate of good conduct
  • Proof of financial means
  • Proof of health insurance

All documents not in French, German or English should be translated into one of these languages by a sworn translator. They must be authenticated with an apostille certificate or notarized from a competent authority in the applicant's place of residence.

Within 3 months, applicants should receive a letter confirming the authorization to stay. If a reply has not been received within this time, the applicant can consider the application refused.

Work Permit

Members of the EU, EEA and of Switzerland do not need a work permit to work in Luxembourg.

The Ministry of Labour administers work permits. In addition to the usual long-stay visa requirements, the requirements include:

  • Proof of affiliation to the Social Security Fund (CCSS)
  • Signed and dated work contract
  • Original of the last work permit
  • If applicable, a copy of the valid residence permit

It is the employer's responsibility to start the complicated process.

  1. The employer must send notification of the vacant job to the Employment Service. The service scans the database to see if there are any available people.
  2. If not, the employer must declare the hiring of the foreign worker
  3. The employment service acknowledges the receipt of the declaration, which is valid as a provisional work permit.
  4. The application is signed and submitted to the Special Commission on Work Permits, which will submit its opinion to the Minister of Foreign Affairs- Immigration Service, for the final decision.

The process usually takes between 4 and 8 weeks. The permit will be issued in duplicate and mailed to the employer.


A work permit is not needed for self-employed workers, but permission must be obtained from the Ministry of Small Businesses (Minstere des Classes Moyennes). To obtain permission, you must submit documentation relating to the business. This may include: resume of your professional qualifications and certificate of solvency.


Those holding a long-term stay permit must make a declaration of arrival within three working days of appearing in Luxembourg. Registration is made at the Municipal Office in the place of residence. A copy of the declaration will be issued as proof that the person has the right to stay in Luxembourg. Employees may not begin work until they have declared their arrival.

    Required documents:
  • Passport with the valid visa
  • Letter confirming the authorization to stay (Autorisation de sejour)
  • Proof of address may be necessary

Bierger Center
Address: Centre Hamilius, 51 boulevard Royal, L-2449 Luxembourg
Telephone: 47 96 22 00
Open: Monday to Friday 08:00-18:00

Residency Permit

A residence permit (Titre de sejour) must be filed with the Ministere des Affaires Etrangeres (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) within 90 days of arrival in Luxembourg..

    Required documents:
  • A certified copy of the authorization to stay (Autorisation de sejour)
  • Certified copy of the declaration issued by the Commune
  • Medical certificate issued by a Luxembourg doctor
  • Proof of appropriate accommodation
  • Photograph (Passport format)
  • Proof of payment of a fee (Payment must be made to the Direction de l'Immigration

If the application is accepted, the applicant receives a letter informing them to collect it from the Immigration Office. The Titre de sejour is placed in the holder's passport. It is valid for one year. Employed persons who have already received a long-term residence permit in another EU member state, and who have an Autorisation de sejour, will be granted a Titre de sejour for 5 years.

It is possible to apply for long-term residency (resident de longue duree) after five years of continuous residence. Applications are sent to the Immigration Office.

Identity Cards

For foreigners staying in Luxembourg for more than a year, a foreigners's identity card must be obtained. The application is usually offered when foreigners register with their commune.

    Required Documents:
  • Passport containing your long-stay visa
  • Work permit or proof of adequate support
  • Passport-size photos (3)
  • Medical certificate
  • Certificate of change of address from your previous place of residence
  • Police report
  • Tax stamp

Tax stamps - Obtained from the Administration des Enregistrements et Domaines. Free to EU nationals; 10 euro for Americans, Singaporeans and Hong Kong; 30 euro for all other countries.


The high number of foreigners living and working in Luxembourg make citizenship attractive to the many foreigners who stay long-term. Around 1,000 foreigners apply for citizenship a year. There are two ways in which to do this.
Option - For people between the ages of 18 and 25, they can "opt" for nationality if they were born in Luxembourg, completed most of their schooling there or are married to a Luxembourg citizen. Applicants must have resided in Luxembourg for the past five years and agree to renounce your former nationality.
Naturalization - Applicants must be over the age of 18, have lived in the Luxembourg for at least ten years and agree to renounce their previous nationality.

Further information about becoming a citizen of Luxembourg is available from the Ministry of Justice (+352 478 4545).

Update 1/03/2011


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Luxembourg and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Luxembourg, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).