International Schools in Kuwait City
Nearly all expats in Kuwait send their children to international schools because; state schools are reserved for Kuwaitis. The Bayan Bilingual School, the American School of Kuwait, the American International School, the British School of Kuwait, and the French School are just a few of the many prominent private schools in Kuwait.
Private Education Department
All foreign schools in Kuwait must be accredited by the Private Education Department (PED) of the Ministry of Education. The PED supervises the schools by over-seeing staff qualifications and school facilities, and ensures compliance by regular inspections. The ministry also regulates school fees. Private schools for non-Arabic children follow their home country curricula, such as American, British, French, German, Indian, Pakistani, etc. All schools are also obliged to incorporate local cultural and language studies into their curricula. Standards achieved compare favorably with those in the pupils' home countries.
International Schools in Kuwait
- A'takamul International School, P.O. Box 33106, Al-Rumaithiya, Kuwait 25562 (Tel. 25522204) combines an American curriculum with an Arabic curriculum and ethos, as well as Islamic and Kuwaiti values.
- American Bilingual School (A.B.S) Abraq Khaitan Block 6 Street #59 Ibn Zuhair Street (tel. 965 24 791 791 or 965 24 750 333). The American Bilingual School in Kuwait is a K-12 school offering a bilingual curriculum. It has separate but adjacent boy's and girl's campuses.
- American School of Kuwait, PO Box 6735, Hawalli 32042 (Tel. 965-266 4341). Ages 4–18.
- American Creativity Academy, (ACA), PO Box: 24989 Safat, 13110, Kuwait (Tel. 965 - 22673333). Pre-K through grade 5 with an American curriculum within an environment in which Islamic values are respected and practiced. The school offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) program for high school students since 2008-2009 school year. It is one of only two schools in Kuwait that offer this program. Students can participate in the full program and receive an IB diploma, or they can take certain IB classes and earn certificates for each class.
- British School of Kuwait Salwa - Block 1 - Street 1 - Bldg. 214, Safat Tele: 5621701 / 5622701 The British School of Kuwait (BSK) is a private, co-educational, international school located in the suburb of Salwa, Kuwait. The school has a selective intake of students aged 4–18. Most teaching programs are based on the National Curriculum of England. Year 10 and 11 students undertake programs of study leading to GCSE and IGCSE. Sixth Form students work towards Edexcel AS and A Level examinations.
- Canadian Bilingual school (C.B.S) Block 2, Zaid Al-Khalil Street, Ibn Hesham, Kindergarten Building / P.O BOX 1251, South Khaitan Kuwait (Tel. 965 – 24744023). Canadian Bilingual School seeks to develop in their students a creative mind and ethical spirit. Canadian Bilingual School follows the modified Ontario (Canada) curriculum.
- Dasman Model School Sharq - Rashed Buresly St. - Opp. British Embassy (Tel. 2430704 /2430706 /2430707). This is an Arabic/English school. Dasman Model School is a private school in Kuwait. The school offers a bilingual program for students in grades K to 12. DMS follows both an American curriculum and the Arabic curriculum published by the Kuwait Ministry of Education. In addition to the core subjects (English, Math, and Science) students are also offered specialist lessons in music, computer, swimming and PE. Almost all of the students at this school are Kuwaiti citizens. Most of the western teachers at DMS are from the United States and Canada.
- The American International School of Kuwait, PO Box 17464, Khaldiya 72455 (Tel. 965-564 5083). Ages 4–18.
- The British School of Kuwait, PO Box 26922, Safat 13030
(Tel. 965-562 1701). Ages 3–18.
- The English Academy (T.E.A) Jabriya - Area 8 - St.13 - Bldg.51, 54, Safat (Tel. 5340427 / 5340428 / 5340851). A private British school teaching the National Curriculum of England and Wales. The school teaches primary, secondary and 6th form. Furthermore, Years 10 and 11 students study for examinations in IGCSE and GCSE and on completion may enter the sixth form to study AS and A Levels respectively. Ages 3.5 to 18.
- The English School (Fahaheel), Salmiya - Area 12 - Mousaed Al-Aazmi St, Safat / PO Box 7209, Fahaheel 64003 (Tel. 965-371 1070). The English School is Kuwait's longest established private school. It was founded in 1953 and is the only not-for-profit school in the country. Control of the school lies with a Board of Governors rather than an owner. The majority of expatriate children between these ages in Kuwait attend the school. The school teaches a British National Curriculum. Ages 4–18
- The English School for Girls, PO Box 12592, Shamiya 71653
(Tel. 965-561 9134). Ages 3–18.
- The English School (Salmiya), PO Box 379, Safat 13004 (Tel. 965-563 7206). Ages 4–11.
- The Gulf English School, Rumaithiyah - Block 2 - Al- Mutamed / Po Box 6320, Hawalli 32038 (Tel. 965-565 9361). The Gulf English School is a co-educational, English Curriculum school providing for children from KG to A level. Ages 4–18.
- The Kuwait English School (Salwa), PO Box 8640, Salmiya 22057 (Tel. 965-565 5216). Ages 3–18.
- Kuwait International English School (K.I.E.S) Salmiya - Area 12 - St.2, Ras Salmiya (Tel. 5625322 / 5630271 / 5630345) Kuwait International English School will be raising the bar of excellence building on its own 16 years of experience in Kuwait and its concept to adopt a holistic education. KIES's pioneering individualized educational program follows the British Curriculum from Kindergarten to Year 11.
- The Kuwait National English School, PO Box 44273, Hawalli 32057 (Tel. 965-265 6904). Ages 2–13.
- The New English School (Jabriya), PO Box 6156, Hawalli 32036 (Tel. 965-531 8060/1). The School is a co-educational British curriculum, private school in Jabriya, Kuwait, which caters for children between the ages of 3½ and 18.
- The Universal American School, PO Box 17035, Khaldiya 72451
(Tel. 965-562 0297). Ages 4–18.
French school in Kuwait
- Lycée Francais Du Koweït (The French School) Hamad Al-Mubarak Street (Tel. 965 257 300 24 or 25/26/29). The Lycée Français de Koweït, is a French school in Kuwait that includes English, Arabic, Spanish, and the official French curriculum that prepares the students to take the French general baccalaureate. French is the primary language and the school is recognized by the ministry of education in France. All the material is studied in French: (Math, History, Physics, Biology, Economy), except for Arabic.
Indian schools in Kuwait
- Carmel School Khaitan, Block 2, Area 10, Safat (Tel. 24727226 or 24727383). Carmel School Kuwait is a school for Indians of all religious denominations in Kuwait. The school was established in 1969 by the Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel, who have several educational establishments across the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
- Indian Community School, Amman Branch Shara Amman Street – 3, Block – 12, Salmiya (Tel. 25624405). The Indian Community School is the oldest Indian school recognized by the Ministry of Education in Kuwait and is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Delhi.
Average tuition for private schools in Kuwait is difficult to estimate. Many schools do not publish their fees online (The English School, for example), opting instead to only disclose them whenever a student commits to enrolling. On average, parents can expect to pay 1,700 Kuwait Dinar per year for Nursery schools and upwards of 4,600 Kuwait Dinar per year or more for grade school (Kindergarten through 12th grade). It is best to check with the school to learn more about tuition costs and other fees.
International Baccalaureate (IB)
The IB program is offered by a number of private schools. It is taught under the supervision of the International Baccalaureate Organization. All students study languages, social science, experimental science, mathematics and arts.
The IB is divided into three programs covering the following age ranges:
- Primary Years Programs (PYP) ages 3-12
- Middle Years Programs (MYP) ages 11-16
- Diploma Programs (DP) ages 16-18
There are no boarding schools in Kuwait
Babbel is an international success with millions of active subscribers and ranked as the world's #1 innovative company in education.
Learn and review on your own schedule: Mobile, tablet or desktop compatible, with lessons about 10-15 min.
Expert-made courses: Learn the basics or focus on topics like travel, culture, or business.
Start speaking right away: Learn to speak a new language naturally and conversationally.
Every learner is different: Each course is based on your native language and personal interests.
Remember everything: Babbel employs proven cognitive techniques that move new vocab to your long-term memory.
Refine your pronunciation: Practise speaking and improve your pronunciation with speech recognition technology.
Try Babbel for free today
Registration with Babbel is completely free of charge and the first lesson in every course is FREE to try (Depending on the language you choose, that's 30-80 free lessons!).
If you want full access to Babbel's courses, simply choose a subscription that works best for you. Buy with confidence: 20-day money back guarantee!