There is plenty service providers for moving between locations in Jamaica.
Some of them do international logistics, including consolidated cargo, container services, shipping and air freight. The mover should cover interests such as security, storage and insurance in the service terms with the agency hired.
Preparing for a Move to Jamaica
When preparing for you move and considering shipping your personal belongings, you should consider whether you are purchasing or renting property, and whether you plan to reside in Jamaica long or short term. There are some furnished properties (refer to our section on renting in Jamaica) and some items are expensive to replace in an island nation. These are all personal variables to think about when moving to Jamaica.
Find a Mover for Jamaica
Use the recommended service partners link below to receive a free quote and compare offers.
Basic Questions to ask:
- How long has your company been in business? While a new company isn't necessarily a bad choice, experience is valuable.
- What is your safety record?
- Can you put me in touch with former customers? Good companies should have no problem supplying references.
- What is the full company name, address, phone number, and website?
- What equipment do you provide? How many movers am I guaranteed?
- Can I see proof of your local/interstate/international moving license and insurance?
- What paperwork is necessary? Do they handle customs for all items?
- What shipping timelines do you offer?
- What are your groupage and sole shipment rates?
- What is your cancellation and refund policy?
- What am I responsible for once I arrive in Malta?
It is advisable to get at least three estimates in writing. A verbal agreement is not enforceable, so make sure to have the estimate and details written down. By comparing multiple estimates, you will find what an average price for your move will really be, and find a company that best matches your expectations. It will also inform you of the different offers and advantages different companies offer. This can provide you room to negotiate with the company of your choice.
The price of moving depends on the how much is being moved, the value of the goods, and the distance to be moved. If possible, ship only the truly indispensable items and try to buy when you arrive to abate some of the cost.
Some basic factors in determining the best shipping method are:
- Volume - This is important for sea shipments.
- Weight and Volume - This is important for air shipments.
- Final Destination - If you are moving across the globe (e.g. from the USA to Malta), you might want to ship the majority of your personal belongings by sea container and a small portion of things you will need upon your arrival by air.
- Moving Schedule - How soon do you need to receive your personal belongings at your destination? Do you already have accommodation (temporary or permanent)? Will you need to store some items until you find permanent accommodation? While storage costs in Malta are generally low, this is an extra step that many expats wish to avoid.
- Budget - Who is paying for your move? Your company or yourself? What is your allowance for the move? What fees are payable up front and on delivery?
- Renting or buying? - If you are renting property in Malta, most properties come fully furnished, with everything from linens to crockery, so you don't necessarily need to ship your personal belongings to Malta. However, if you are buying, properties for sale are often (but not always) unfurnished.
To save money, you can ship your items with other people's belongings. Known as "groupage", your personal belongings will be shipped with the personal belongings of one or more customers. While this offers considerable financial savings, it can take much longer. Usually, the shipment is sent to a central location warehouse with later shipments being made to a country specific destination.
If your shipment is large, or cost is not an issue, direct shipping is a better option. The container will hold only your personal belongings and will go directly to its final destination without stopping at any other warehouse. Sole usage shipping typically takes 4-6 weeks.
You-pack / We-drive Service
Another option when moving your goods is to do the packing yourself. This can save you money, and ensure your items are given the care they deserve. When packing, be sure to keep an inventory of all goods.
The process is simple:
- Find a company
- A moving truck or storage container is delivered to your house for you to pack at your leisure
- Once packed, you arrange for the company to pick up the truck or container
- The company moves the truck or container to the new residence
- You unload the truck and move into your new home
- The company picks up the container or truck