Work Usage in Milan


The law requires that any foreigner obtain a permesso di soggiorno after eight days of stay.

Anyone who works here must have a work permit (permesso di soggiorno per motivi di lavoro). By rights, nationals of EEC countries shouldn't need one, but they still do. The procedures are less complicated for them than for non-EEC nationals (extracomunitari), who need a visa obtained in their home country before they can get the permesso.

Procedures to obtain a work permit are much easier for EU- than for non-EU nationals. Anyone from the EU who is about to be hired here need only go to the Office for Foreigners (Ufficio Stranieri) of the Questura and request a permit to stay for work reasons (permesso di soggiorno, motivi di lavoro). Take a passport, a photocopy of the data pages in your passport, two photos and a letter from your anticipated employer stating their intention to hire you and describing your professional capacity. Fill out a form available there and on the same day you will receive a stay permit allowing you to work. With this you can proceed to get a residence certificate and an employment record booklet if applicable.

Non-EEC nationals wanting to be hired in Italy have a harder time of it. Once you are about to be hired your employer sends a request to the Ufficio Provinciale di Lavoro which then sends the request to Rome. If approved, the documentation returns to the Ufficio Provinciale di Lavoro and must then be taken to the Questura for their "Nulla Osta". The employer then sends the stamped permit and a letter offering you employment to your address in your home country. There you take the two documents to the nearest Italian consulate or embassy and your passport will be stamped with the right sort of visa. Now you can enter Italy. Once here, take the stamped permit, letter of employment from your company (in Italian, stating your name, your position, the length of your assignment, and from which country you are being paid), passport, and two photos to the Questura, and request a permit to stay for work reasons.

Additional documents include the equivalent of a social security number (codice fiscale).

Update 11/11/2003


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Italy and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about work usage in Milan, at work.

Download the full digital PDF expat guide in Milan

Download the guide: Milan, Italy
  • See in one single booklet all the articles for a city guide for expatriates.
  • Enjoy full colour photos to illustrate each section.
  • Additionnal maps: Region, City view, Neighborhood, Street view.

  • - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon