Social Security in Milan


You will need a social security number (codice fiscale). It's a personalized tax number used in all commercial dealings. Similar to a Social Security card in the United States or NHS number in UK.

As a resident of Italy, you are allowed to register for national health insurance, called the mutua. You do so through your local USSL or ASL (Azienda Sanitaria Locale) office. Once you are paying the mutua payments, you can visit your assigned doctor, have exams done, and get medications.
Foreigners who get national health insurance have booklets (libretto sanitario) that only last as long as their permesso di soggiorno. When applying, take your passport, residence papers (both permesso di soggiorno and residence certificate), and your codice fiscale and proof of employment (dichiarazione del datore di lavoro), or your marriage certificate.

A separate institution (INAIL covers all workers against the consequences of industrial accidents occurring in the course of employment.

Update 13/05/2011


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Italy and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about social security in Milan, at work.