Departure to Milan

Passport, Visa & Permits to Milan

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Italy > Milan

A visa is often required to stay/live in the country of your destination. You must request the form and get the information to the Italian Consulate when you are still in your country of origin.
Do not mix consulate and embassy. The embassy is the representation of the State in a foreign country and is in charge of all the relations with the government of the country where located. The consul protects and administrates the community coming from his country. However, you must usually live for 6 months in the country before you have to register. You will find all the information by asking the Consulate.

If you plan to work in Milan, you must have a job and apply for the necessary documentation before you go to Italy. You employer must apply for the proper permits. Check with your nearest consulate for the most up to date regulations. Note: jobs are hard to come by, especially for anyone from non-EU countries.

In the 27 countries of the European community, a valid National Identity Card or Passport is enough. You don't have to fill any other form in. In many cases, your new company will do the formalities for you.

The 27 countries of the European Union are: Germany, France, The United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Italy, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Sweden, Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Romania.

The following documents are required to apply for your first permesso di soggiorno, which you get at the Questura. (see also the section Work Permit)

- Passport and photocopy of information pages, including the visa page if applicable.
- Two photos of each person to be listed on the permesso di soggiorno (e.g. a mother and her children).
- Blue application form (available at the Questura).
- Marca da bollo (€10) for non-EC citizens.

If married, a consular declaration to that effect, or a translated and sworn copy of your marriage certificate. If a parent of children under 16 years old, a consular declaration stating that you are the legal guardian of the children, or translated and sworn copies of their birth certificates.

Update 2/01/2007


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Italy and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Milan, departure.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon