Return | Hong Kong

Before going back | Hong Kong

Home > Expat Guides > Asia > Hong Kong > Hong Kong

If you are an expatriate, your employer (or the agency hired by them) should take care of most of the leaving preparations. For those of us for whom Murphy's Law is a reality rather than a joke, it is always best to check yourself that everything is happening as it should be.

As far as informing the tax office of your impending departure from work goes, the onus is on your employer to file a notice to them, and to help you prepare your tax return. You should then receive tax clearance in addition to cancellation of your work permit. If you do not hear anything about this as your departure date looms closer, get in touch with the HR department of your company and start making noises, and at a push contact the Inland Revenue Department who will then be able to advise you further. Your last month's salary is usually withheld to cover your tax, and in the event that it does not completely cover the full amount of tax that you owe, you will have to pay the difference. On the up side, you may even receive a refund if the amount you owe in tax is less than the month's salary, but don't throw that lavish party to celebrate too soon – make sure that they haven't over-refunded you, in which case they will be wanting some money back!

Also, your landlord, bank, utility provider(s) and whatever other services you have subscribed to will need to be informed Ensure that all standing orders are cancelled after a certain date, and all outstanding debts paid off. Contact your consulate to find out if there is any paperwork you need to fill out before re-entering your home country, and ensure all belongings are carefully listed on the inventory from the removal company. Family pets will have to have all their inoculations up to date, and safe passage and entry arranged. For this, contact your consulate who will be able to give you all the information you will need.

Also, ensure that adequate preparations have been made for a smooth return home (you don't want to get back only to realise that you haven't had the water/gas/electricity in your house turned on, or that your child doesn't have a school to go to!).

Here is a list of international moving companies in Hong Kong:

but again, do check yourself what is available in your country/area.

Related article: Preparing for your move

Update 8/04/2010


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Hong Kong and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about before going back | Hong Kong, return.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon