Moving in : Hong Kong

Gas, Electricity, Water in Hong Kong

Home > Expat Guides > Asia > Hong Kong > Hong Kong

All utilities in Hong Kong with the exception of water are privately owned. For these 3 you get plenty of customer services everywhere.


For gas, you have Towngas which supplies 85% of Hong-Kong and territories:

Tel: 2880 6988
Here is the website:

You may open an account online and Towngas will call back to confirm the account. For documents you will need a lease or proof of address but that will be explained during the confirmation call. Otherwise you can visit the nearest customer service centre with proof of address. If gas is already connected where you move in, you must report the latest meter reading and that will be the account's initial reading. Be aware that a deposit will be required.

Meter readers make frequent visits so that you pay the right price, but it is also possible to arrange meter self-reading every month and either fill out an online form or telephone in the reading using their voice recognition system. You will receive a bill every month and there are various ways to pay Towngas either by cheque, on the Internet, by phone, at a bank or post office, at a customer service centre or by credit card.

You also have:

Shell Gas LPG
36/F Shell Tower, Times Square, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Emergency Hotline Tel: 2322 2000
Customer Service Tel: 2435 8388


For domestic customers the voltage supplied is either 220 volts single phase or 220/380 volts 3 phase 4 wires on 50 Hertz. The standard plug is the British-style rectangular blade 3-pin plug and appliances from Europe will work if you have a plug adapter.

For electricity, you have two main providers:

  • For HK and Lamma island you have
    Hong Kong Electric Holdings Ltd (HEH)
    9/F Electric Centre, 28 City Garden Road, North Point, Hong Kong
    24-hour Emergency Hotline: 2555 4000
    Customer Services: 2887 3411 (office hours)
    Fax: 2510 7667
  • For Kowloon, New Territories and Outlying Islands you have:
    China Light and Power (CLP Power)
    13/F 6 On Lai Street, Shatin, New Territories
    Emergency Hotline: 2728 8333 (24/7)
    Customer Info Line: 2678 2678

Likewise the gas, you may open an account online or by fax or in person at the Customer Service Centre in North Point. You have to provide a Hong Kong ID or passport details if you are not resident there. You will be asked a deposit of 60 days' consumption. Think to keep the receipt for the deposit, as it will be necessary for the return of the deposit when the service is transferred or terminated. The payment is done by the use of meters which are checked regularly and you receive bills monthly. It is possible to pay by direct debit, credit card, PPS, at ATMs, online or by cheque, either in person at a customer centre or post office, or by post.


For water, you have the Water Authority:

The Water Authority
43/F Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: 2824 5000
Fax: 2802 7333

In order to become a registered consumer, you have to download the form WWO 1 from the WSD website. The form is also available at Customer Enquiry Centres. This application form can be posted with a copy of the customer's Hong Kong ID to the address above or passport details. Applications normally take seven days to process and a deposit is required. Contrarily to the electricity, bills are sent quarterly. Again,there are several ways of paying: by Autopay, at an ATM, by phone or Internet, or by cheque.

Update 8/04/2010


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Hong Kong and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about gas, electricity, water in Hong Kong, moving in.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Stay connected

- My Life Abroad -
A selection of expat stories

"A fun compulsive read!"
J. Matcham, Amazon

"I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
Patrice, Amazon