Passport, Visa & Permits to Accra



You must have a valid passport to travel abroad. A passport is an official government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship. The process and cost associated with getting a passport can be high, so start the process at least six months before you plan to leave. Your passport must be valid 6 months beyond your intended stay. Minors are allowed to travel on their parents' passports up until aged 15 years.


A visa is a stamp or endorsement placed by officials on a passport that allows the bearer to enter the country. This permission is called "entry clearance".

Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) provides basic information about the visa and work permit application process as well as regulate and monitor the entry, residence, employment and exit of all foreigners.

Who needs a visa for Ghana?

Most nationalities are required to organize a visa before arriving in country. The only exceptions to this rule are:

  • Nationals of ECOWAS States: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Code d’Ivoire, Guinea Bissau, The Gambia, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo).
  • Nationals of the following countries: Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Singapore, South Africa, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Zimbabwe
  • Holders of diplomatic, service or official passports from the following countries: Brazil, Cuba, Germany, Hong Kong, Iran, Namibia

If your home country appears on the above list, it is still worth confirming visa application processes in advance. Visa regulations are known to change.

Tourism/Volunteer/Entry Visa

Tourist visas (single or multiple entry) are for people coming to Ghana for a holiday or as a volunteer. Applying for this visa requires you to show a return air ticket, and possibly an invitation from a local host organization. Check with your local Ghana Embassy for specific details on the fees you need to pay.  

Ghana offers 3 or 6 month visas that usually allow you to be in the country for a period of 60 days. It is important to note that the 3/6 month descriptor refers to the length of time that you can use the visa for entry - not the length of time you can stay. For example, if you get a multiple entry six month visa, you will be able to enter Ghana multiple times during a 6 month window. When you enter, immigration will decide how long you can stay in the country. Usually, they set a window of 60 days.

You can apply for extensions to the granted time period of stay in Accra at Immigration Headquarters. This must be done before your first visa expires. You will need to provide 4 passport sized pictures, an application form, your passport and processing fees.

Transit Visa

Transit visas are available for people traveling through Ghana for no more than 48 hours. It is not possible to extend them and you will need to provide proof of onward travel.

Student Visa

Student visas are available for people studying in Ghana. Applicants must have:

  • Valid travel document i.e. (passport, Ecowas Travel Document)
  • Evidence of admission letter from an accredited institution
  • Show proof of exemption or payment of required course fees.
  • Guarantee of accommodation
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Proof of payment of prescribed fees for residence permit
  • Complete application form with four (2) passport size photographs

Check with your local Ghana Embassy for individualized information.  

Business Visa

Business visas are for professionals visiting the country. They are issued for periods of 1, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months. You must provide a letter of invitation from a local host company or your firm directly. Check with your local Ghana Embassy for specific details on the fees you need to pay.  

If you are a journalist or film crew, note that your processing time is longer (14 days). You must include a form that indicates the nature of your coverage and the equipment you will bring to Ghana. You must also contact the Information Services Department for accreditation once you arrive.

If you are a general investor, you must apply for a visa after registering with the Ghana Investment Promotion Centre. A supporting letter from this organization will enable you to obtain an extended visa.

If you are an investor in the mining sector, you must register with the Minerals Commission as an approved Mining Services Company. A supporting letter from them will enable you to obtain an extended visa.

Work Visa

A work visa allows you to work in Ghana. If you are moving with a company, it is likely they will complete the visa process for you. If not, you will have to do it yourself with Ghana Immigration services.

At a minimum, you will be required to provide the following items:

  • A personal CV
  • A police report from your country of residence
  • A medical report
  • Company details (registration and incorporation certificates, regulations, audit code, tax clearance form, etc.)
  • A legal employment contract
  • Proof that the company has tried to find local Ghanaians first. This might include public job advertisements.

Check with your local Ghana Embassy for specific details on the fees you need to pay and on any additional things you may need to provide.

Permanent Residence

A permanent residence visa in Ghana will allow you to stay in country as long as you’d like, and to secure work. In order to qualify for Permanent Residence you must:

  • Be married to a Ghanaian and have lived in the country for 5 years OR
  • Have lived in the country for 10 years

In order to apply, you will need to provide:

  • A completed application form
  • A letter of support from a local company
  • A police report from your previous country of residence
  • A medical certificate
  • Proof of support from two high-ranking Ghanaians (lawyer, notary)
  • Proof of owning property in Ghana
  • Proof of your economic contribution to Ghana 
  • Proof of integration into local society (language, culture, way of life)

Check with your local Ghana Embassy for specific details on the fees you need to pay and for any information on additional things you should provide.


It is possible to obtain dual citizenship between your home country and Ghana. The process involves paying a fee and filling out an application form. Specifics vary from country to country.

You can find the most up to date information by contacting your local Ghana embassy.

Note that this section is intended for reference only. We strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up-to-date information that pertains to your specific situation.

Update 8/05/2015


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Ghana and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about passport, visa & permits to Accra, departure.