Customs and import to Accra


When entering Ghana, you will first need to present your pre-arranged visa to the customs official. It is extremely rare to be issued a visa on arrival – and most airlines will check for a visa to Ghana before letting you board.

At immigration, the officer will then provide with you a stamp that details how many days you are eligible to stay in the country. Typically, they give a period of 60 days for a regular entry visa.

>>> There are additional details in the Passport, Visa and Permits section.

You will be prohibited from bringing the following items into Ghana:

  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Explosives
  • Pornography
  • Raw coffee
  • Life preservers
  • Scandalous literature
  • Large amounts of cash
  • Dangerous weapons


If you want to bring your pet abroad, it can be done but takes planning and preparation. Taking your pet into another country usually includes:

  • Microchiping – Used to verify a pet’s identity. Microchips are not mandatory to enter Ghana, but they are recommended.
  • Vaccination - Vaccinations range from country to country, but in general every pet older than 3 months must be vaccinated against rabies. The vaccination must be administered at least 21 days before arrival. However the vaccination cannot be older than 12 months from the date of arrival. Dogs may also get full shots for Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parvo, and DHLPP. Cats may also be vaccinated against Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calcivirus, and Panleukopenia.
  • Certificate of good health - Issued by a vet after an exam. You will usually need to get an official form from the consulate or embassy of the country you are moving to. It is often available on-line from the customs website.

It is also important to consider what country you are bringing your pet from. Additional regulations apply if you are coming from a country that is not designated as rabies free.


Some airlines allow pets to travel in an airplane's cabin, provided their cage is small enough to fit under your seat. Small birds may also be able to travel in the cabin, but tropical birds such as parrots are usually not allowed.

If your pet's cage does not fit under your seat, you will have to ship it as checked baggage. Since the outside air temperature also affects the temperature in the cargo bay, airlines may restrict the transportation of pets during certain times of the year. Airlines have special requirements for containers in the cabin and cargo bay. Make sure you get detailed information from your preferred airlines before purchasing a cage or kennel.

Before leaving, acquaint your animal with the kennel or container. Add some familiar toys or some of your clothing items, so your pet has a sense of familiarity during the transport. Sedation of your pet during the trip is generally not recommended and should only be used as a last resort.

There are also pet relocation services that figure out all the details of the move. These services tend to be quite expensive, but take away the stress of doing it yourself.


You do not need to quarantine your dog if you are moving from a rabies-free country to Ghana and meet the following criteria:

  • Import Permit (acquired in advance)
  • Pet has been vaccinated for Rabies within 10 days – 12 months of entry and you have a copy of the rabies certificate
  • Proof of vaccinations for canine distemper, hepatitis, parovirus, lepospira, canicola and Leptospira icterohaemmorrhagiae and Parainfluenza
  • Negative test results for Brucella Canis
  • A vet has completed the Veterinary Certificate for Ghana

These regulations apply most frequently to dogs. If you are planning to import another species, you may need to adhere to additional regulations. For more information, refer to the Ministry of Food& Agriculture.

Custom's Resources

U.S. Citizens: The free pamphlet "Know Before You Go" at is very helpful. (Click on "Travel" and then click on "Know Before You Go! Online Brochure").
You can also contact:
U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)
1300 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20229
Tel. 877/287-8667

Canadian Citizens: "I Declare", issued by the Canada Border Services Agency (tel. 800/461-9999 in Canada, or 204/983-3500 ) is helpful.

Australian Citizens: A helpful brochure is available from Australian consulates or Customs offices called "Know Before You Go". Call the Australian Customs Service at tel. 1300/363-263, or log on to

Update 8/05/2015


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest WhatsApp Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Ghana and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about customs and import to Accra, departure.