Find a Job in Munich

Summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Munich

Home > Expat Guides > Europe > Germany > Munich

Getting a summer job in Munich is a great way to explore the country at the best time of the year while also being able to afford it! What’s more, a summer job experience can add an international touch to your CV, something that most companies look for these days. 

In order to help you to find a job for an experience abroad, we have selected a few organisations for each of the themes below.

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Job Hunting in Munich

Have a few months in Munich? Want to work to pay for your holiday? Or just looking for a summer job that’s fun and will help you pay some bills? Whatever the reason, there are a number of temp and summer jobs that you can find in Munich. Some of the key websites to check out are as listed below.

Do not forget the employment department of Universities, High schools is available to students that are registered only.

Summer jobs and vacancies in bars, hotels, restaurant, catering

Cafes, bars, restaurants are always looking for extra help especially in the busy summer months. Some places to check out are as below.

  • Vendors, sandwich shops, small shops
  • Waiting staff in bars and restaurants
  • Cleaning staff
  • Admin staff

The French National Employment Service (ANPE) and the Center of Information for Youths (CIDJ) have set up a website in 5 languages (German, English, French, Italian, Spanish) : EuroSummerJob [] that provides more than 1000 summer jobs offers throughout Europe.

Au Pair

You can find more information in our Au Pair article.

The student employment contract

Student Work Permit

A student work permit in general will allow you to work for a maximum of 90 full-time days per year or 180 half-time days per year. These are working days and not calendar days. You also need to bear in mind that you are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week during the semester. You are allowed to work up to 40 hours a week during vacation time, i.e. between semesters. One exception for this rule, which was introduced on January 2006, is that if the work that you do is highly related to your studies and it takes place at your university or institute then you can do it for an unlimited time.

For more detailed information, please contact the German embassy in your country.



Working holiday visa

Visa requirements are crucial to your trip planning.
This section is intended for reference only. We strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up to date info..

The Working Holiday Scheme is a travel permit which allows travellers to gain employment in the country issuing the visa mainly to supplement their travel funds. This is an ideal way to explore and experience life in Munich while engaging in temporary employment (maximum of one year).

The working holiday visa for Germany is open to citizens of Australia, New Zealand and Japan aged between 18 and 30. Stays of up to 12 months are allowed. Working Holidaymakers may work to finance their trip, but each job can only last up to 90 days. Evidence of sufficient funds for the first three months is required (i.e. 250 euro per month).

To be eligible applicants must:

  • Be 18 and 30 years
  • Not be accompanied by children
  • Posses a valid passport
  • Have proof of sufficient funds
  • Posses return air tickets or equivalent funds
  • Show proof of health insurance valid in Germany for the duration of the stay.

In addition, Canadian applicants must satisfy the following conditions:

  • Be enrolled at a post-secondary institution
  • Have a written job offer from an employer in Germany before leaving Canada.
  • Be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of German.



Discount Cards

Being a student has a number of advantages. One big advantage is the discount card. Get discounts on travel, shopping, food, entertainment in Munich and beyond with the following cards.

  • International Student Identity Card (ISIC): The ISIC card gives you discount on transport and at museums, shops, hotels and bars all over the world.
  • IYTC (International Youth Travel Card): if you are not a student, but are under 26, then this card is for you. IYTC has become internationally recognised as an identity card in 50 countries.
  • : find out how to save on German railways
  • : city tour card for Munich, includes transport and discount on city

You can apply directly online to get the cards ( or by asking your University or youth centers.

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Update 2/04/2008


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Germany and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Munich, find a job.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).