Summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Paris


Job Hunting in France

France offers opportunities for seasonal and short-term work. These usually are in the fields of tourism and service or agriculture. Service jobs (hotels, bars, cafés, and restaurants) can be mostly in the cities and at resorts, with agriculture jobs in the country. Some positions even provide accommodations, transportation, and meals. Another option is to work at campsites, caravan and holiday parks in the positions of wardens, sales, and reception staff.

The summer months provide the best opportunities for most jobs, and the most competition. To find a position, start searching early. Look for "Positions Vacants" in newspapers or on search engines like

Common Fields for Temporary Work

Agricultural Work - France recruits agricultural workers every year. Fruits (apples, cherries, and grapes) picking is the primary position during the summer. Vineyard work opens up at the end of summer. The French National Employment Service (ANPE) offers positions on their website under "Aide agricole saisonnier(ière)". You can also go to farms and simply ask around for seasonal jobs.

Foreign Language - If you speak a foreign language, like English, you can find work teaching, translations, telemarketing, or various other positions.

Campsite Jobs - The summer months bring visitors and sites that lay dormant during the winter now need employs for administration and maintenance. Contact sites in your area for opportunity.

Hostel Work - Working at a hostel can be an easy way to find work. In addition, they may offer free or discounted room and/or board.

Babysitting - Babysitting can be an easy way to find short-term work. These jobs can be especially beneficial if you have a skill, like being a native English speaker. Most babysitting positions can be found by word-of-mouth, so ask around if you are looking for work. Payment is usually €6-10/hour.


Appellation Contrôlée - (Neutronstraat 10, 9743 AM Groningen, the Netherlands; Tel. +31 50 549 2434) Places EU citizens in grape-picking jobs during the harvest season for €50 per day.

Centre Régional Information Jeunesse (CRIJ) - (de Côte d'Azur, 19 rue Gioffredo, 06000 Nice; Tel. +04 93 80 93 93) Seasonal and long-term job opportunities in the region are posted online. CRIJ locations throughout France.

Fédération Unie des Auberges de Jeunesse - (27 rue Pajol, 75018 Paris; Tel. +01 44 89 87 27) Offers short-term work in member youth hostels, from catering to reception. Submit application to individual hostel.

Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios - Disneyland Resort Paris is always recruiting (at the peak tourist times they employ more than 12,000 workers). There are 500 kinds of jobs with more than 100 nationalities and 19 languages spoken. Examples of positions include marketing, restaurant or café service, supervising rides, customer services, or appearing as a Disney character! Knowledge of at least 3 languages is necessary.

The Club Mediterranée - Several European camping agencies operate throughout France. Positions include GO (gentil organisateur) who take part in village life or GE (gentil employé) who do catering work and housekeeping.

Eurocamp - The market-leader in self catering holidays often needs to fill positions as couriers on campsites. Employees must be over 18.

PGL - Arranges holidays for children and needs to fill positions for counselors. Operate from Easter to March to October and during half terms.

Jobs in the Alps - Ski resorts offer jobs for student during winter and summer seasons. Majority of jobs rely on some language abilities.

Search for a Short-term Position

Apply directly at organizations you would be interested in working for. Also, spread the work about what kind of position you are looking for. Employment search engines are also useful.

European Youth Portal

As part of the EU, the Youth Opportunities Initiative (YOI) offers a set of measures aimed at increasing young people's employability. Young European job seekers looking for temporary work abroad or working holidays abroad can access the European Youth Portal. The system promotes EU programmes and resources such as Leonardo da Vinci, European Voluntary Service, Erasmus, Erasmus for Entrepreneurs and EURES, that are geared towards developing young people's skills, qualifications and training.

Student Employment Contract

An employment contract is standard for any working environment and in the case of student or short-term work, a student employment contract may be used. This usually imposes a time-limit between a student and an employer, with the student getting a salary for his/her work. Making a formal student work contract is not mandatory (it is possible to sign a standard employee contract instead), but may have additional benefits for a student position.

Discount Cards

ISE Card(International Student Exchange Card) - An internationally recognized identification card with thousands of discounts in over 80 countries, it is valid for one year from date of issue. Students of ANY age are eligible, as well as faculty members and children to young adults from 12-25. The price is $25 and you can purchase it online at

SIC (International Student Identity Card) - Full-time students 12 years and older offers discounts on travel rates, accommodations, shopping, entertainment, basic sickness and travel insurance, and inexpensive international phone calls. A passport sized photo is required and the card costs about $25 and is good through December 31st of each year. It can be purchased at

IYTC (International Youth Travel Card) - A discount card for travelers under 26 who aren't enrolled in school, this card offers a smaller range of youth travel discounts. The card costs $22 card.

Work Visa

Visa requirements are crucial to your trip planning, however this section is intended for reference only. We strongly recommend that you contact the embassy directly for the most up to date info.

Members of the EU, EEA and of Switzerland do not need a work permit.

Temporary Worker Permit

Non EU nationals must have arranged employment and visas before they enter the country and need approval from the French Ministry of Labour. The list of professions you can carry out in France can be consulted on

France also offers a working holiday visa (Permis Vacances Travail, PVT) to Australian, Canadian, Japanese, New Zealand, South Korean, Argentinean, and Taiwanese citizens.

Foreign student and work permit

There is no specific rule for a EU citizen, with the same rights as a French student.

The non-EU foreign student can work in France without authorisation as long as he/she does not exceed 60% of a full time. The employer must declare the employee to the Prefecture/DIRECCTE (service main d'oeuvre étrangère - MOE) at least 2 days before the start.
8/10 rue du Nord 69625 – Villeurbanne cedex,
adresse courriel :

The student must have:

  • a long-stay student visa (delivered for some categories of students for periods of 3, 6 or 12 months),
  • or a temporary "carte de séjour" (resident card).

Having one of those document allows to work in any industry in France. The student can work a maximum of 964 hours per year (12 months from the date of the visa/resident card) ord pro-rata according to the length of the stay.

For more information you can check the website

For more information on visa, consult the section on "Passport and Visas".

You will find information on voluntary jobs or internship abroad in our other articles on the left column of this page.

Update 13/02/2013


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to France and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about summer, seasonal and short term jobs in Paris, find a job.

Download the full digital PDF expat guide in Paris

Download the guide: Paris, France
  • See in one single booklet all the articles for a city guide for expatriates.
  • Enjoy full colour photos to illustrate each section.
  • Additionnal maps: Region, City view, Neighborhood, Street view.

  • - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon