Social Security in Sofia

Tools:

Social Security is a benefit plan that guarantees financial security during work related accidents, unemployment, old-age, and nursing care for employees. Its goal is to maintain a stable standard of living for those residing in Bulgaria.

To register for social security in Bulgaria, visit the National Insurance Institute.

Social Security Contributions in Bulgaria

The Bulgarian social security system covers:

  • General diseases
  • Work-related accidents
  • Occupational disease
  • Maternity
  • Unemployment
  • Old-age
  • Death

The employer must report the ending of the employment contract within three days to the National Revenue Agency. The employer must pay the social security contributions until the 25th of the following month and these contributions must be paid to the tax office's account.

The social security contributions are calculated as follows:

  • Basic social security – 17.3 % of the gross salary
  • Pension insurance - 5 % of the gross salary
  • Health insurance - 8 % of the gross salary

The employer pays 60% of the insurance contributions and the employee pays the remaining 40%.

Depending on the job the employer has to bear the costs of the occupation accident insurance that amounts between 0.4 % and 1.1 % of the gross salary. The maximum security income is 2,600 BGN.

The employee's insurance contributions are calculated according to the received gross monthly remuneration or according to the gross labor remuneration that has not been charged and must pay both for one month.

Social Security Benefits in Bulgaria

Some of these benefits listed above are also available to foreigners with long-term residency in Bulgaria. In order to qualify, you must have a valid work permit and have made the minimum required months of contributions required by each benefit.

Statutory Sick Pay in Bulgaria

The employee must have six months of working experience to receive the benefits from social security for sick leave. The first three work days of absence due to illness, the employer pays 70% of the wage and social security pays the remaining. Employees can take unpaid time off for illness or injury with medical notes from their doctor.

Maternity Leave in Bulgaria

Pregnant employees are entitled to 45 days paid leave before delivery and 410 days after the child has been delivered. Employees on maternity leave receive payments from the National Social Security Fund. The employer must provide appropriate working conditions for employees who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
If the father is married or living with the mother, he is entitled to 15 days of paid paternity leave. Adoptive mothers are entitled to 410 days of maternity leave if the child is younger than the age of five.

After the expiry of maternity leave, an employee who is a mother, father, or adoptive parent is entitled to paid paternal leave until the child reaches the age of two. The parents are also entitles to six months of unpaid leave until the child reaches the age of eight.

Update 6/06/2018


Tools:

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Partners

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Bulgaria and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.


Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.


Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Go to the Forum to talk more about social security in Sofia, at work.

Download the full digital PDF expat guide in Sofia

Download the guide: Sofia, Bulgaria
  • See in one single booklet all the articles for a city guide for expatriates.
  • Enjoy full colour photos to illustrate each section.
  • Additionnal maps: Region, City view, Neighborhood, Street view.

  • - My Life Abroad -
    A selection of expat stories

    "A fun compulsive read!"
    J. Matcham, Amazon

    "I strongly advise people ready to live abroad to read this book!"
    Patrice, Amazon