Return | Rio de Janeiro

Before going back | Rio de Janeiro

Home > Expat Guides > South America > Brazil > Rio de Janeiro

To return to your home country, follow similar steps to "Before the Departure" and close down your Rio de Janeiro household. Instead of finding work and housing, you will need to give your notice at work and if you are renting, sell your house if applicable, cancel or change your bank service, and cancel your utilities and subscriptions. Contact your consulate to find out details about your countries recommended procedures on issues such as pensions and unemployment.

Prepare your goods to go through customs by making a detailed inventory and secure a proof of change of residence. A moving form attestation can be secured through your Consulate. If using a shipping company, they should be able to handle most of this paperwork for you. The immigration form that is filled out upon arrival will have been stamped and handed back by immigration officials at the airport. Upon leaving the country, it is very important to present this form back to immigration. To have the lowest taxes you will need to have had a residence abroad for more than 12 months and have had use of the possessions in a private capacity for at least 6 months.

In addition, tourists leaving Brazil must pay a US$ 36 departure tax, which can be paid in U.S. dollars or in reals.

In tandem with shutting down your foreign house, you need to prepare your next location. This includes finding a new apartment or house, or opening your house and possibly re-establishing your utilities. If moving with a pet, the same documentation is required as for an animal entering Brazil. Be sure to check into the regulations for the country you are moving to. If you have children, you will need to find the right school and arrange for their records to be transferred. If any members of your family are not from the country you are moving to, you may need to secure visas for their entry. Prepare well in advance to avoid problems.

Entry/exit card

On entering Brazil, all tourists must fill out a cartao de entrada/saida. Immigration officials will keep half of the form, you will keep the other. When you leave Brazil, the second half of the entry/exit card will be taken by immigration officials. Do not lose your card while travelling around Brazil! If you do lose it, you may have issue leaving the country with immigration. Typically, you'll be required to pay a fine (upwards of R$150) at the Banco do Brasil before you're allowed to leave.

Related article: Preparing for your move

Update 29/05/2010


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers

When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.

Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Brazil and anywhere overseas.

Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.

Do you have comments or personal information to communicate about this article? Add your comment.

Go to the Forum to talk more about before going back | Rio de Janeiro, return.

Find more definitions and general answers on expatriation issues in the Expat FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).