Politics in Andorra are established under the Constitution (1993), which means that the country is nowadays defined as a social and democratic country, with 7 parishes communities.
Andorra is the only country in the world that has two Heads of State, which describes it as a parliamentary Co-principality.
Andorra co-princes' are the Bishop of Urgell and the President of the French Republic, which represent Andorra and its people together.
Legislative power lies in the Consell General (General Council) and its members.
This one acts as a Parliamentary and legislative body. It is a single-chamber parliament, composed of 28 members, of mixed and equal representation of the national population, and of the 7 parishes (14 are elected by national census and 14 by parochial circumscription).
Their main functions are:
1. Develop and approve laws
2. Approve the Government budget
3. Appoint the head of government
4. Regulate and control the action of the Government
The counselors are elected by universal suffrage every four years.
A group of representatives who have been elected and attributed by the state political direction form Andorra's General Administration.
It is a four years term and it is composed by the prime minister (elected by the General Council and appointed by the co-princes) and by the ministers (appointed by the head of government).
The Government administers the state executive power and implements the laws approved by the General Council.
Their functions are:
1. The State public administration supervision
2. The national policy organization and control
3. To assume competences in international politics
4. To assume Police Service competences
* The Justice and the Constitutional Tribunal in Andorra must be independent. Judges serve six-year, renewable terms, and are elected by those with law degrees.
Andorra's political map is divided into seven administrative divisions known as parishes. Each parish has its own consul and administrative headquarters, known as the Comú (city hall).
Therefore, Andorra la Vella, as Andorran capital, homes both the Government of Andorra central offices and the city local government (Comú).
It comprises the main Administrative Building of the Government of Andorra and Andorra's General Council:
1. The Administrative Building of the Government of Andorra is the headquarter of the country Government and where all ministries gather: the Ministry of Finance and Public Function, Ministry of Economy and Territory, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Justice and Interior, Ministry of Health and Welfare , Ministry of Education and Youth, Ministry of Tourism and the Environment, and Ministry of Culture.
2. Andorra's General Council is the legislative and parliamentary body of the Government, which is located both in the New General Council of Andorra and in "Casa de la Vall".
Since 2011 the ordinary sessions have taken place in the new headquarters. However, the traditional sessions (constitutive session or the session of Saint Thomas) take place in "Casa de la Vall".
Every four years, Andorra la Vella citizens choose their twelve counselors, from whom the mayor and the minor consul are elected. They both hold the highest political representation in the Commonwealth of Andorra la Vella.
The results of the last communal elections (2015) have shaped the current governing team, consisting of a majority of eight Democratic counselors for Andorra.
When you move internationally you are taking a big step. Lots of things are changing and you have a million things to think about and take care of. If you are able to select a top of the line moving company that moves for a modest price, it can take a big weight of your shoulders in busy times.
Our network of international removal companies can move your furniture & possessions to Andorra and anywhere overseas.
Filling in the form at the bottom will allow you to request up to 5 quotes from various moving companies. This service is free of charge and will help you select an international moving company that suits your needs and budget.