Andorra offers a big variety of tourist attractions, places where to enjoy its gastronomy and mountain/outdoors activities. Visitandorra.com
(the official tourist board) has created a complete webpage to help you plan your stay, whether you are more into culture, leisure, fine dining, nightlife or shopping.
Sightseeing in Andorra
Did you know that Andorra homes the highest number of museums per inhabitant in the world?
From walking/hiking routes to cultural events and museums, discount cards and national celebrations, these are the 5 most famous activities and experiences that you cannot miss when visiting the country.
- Walk The Iron Route: Mines, the coal industry, forges, mining and steel works environments along with contemporary art, it all form part of this interesting route where you will learn everything about the iron production process.
- Get cultural at the Thyssen Museum: Since March 2016, the new Thyssen Museum in Andorra has been a must-visit exhibition space for lovers of great art. Gauguin, Matisse, Monet, and more of the 19th and 20th-century masters can now be found there.
- Get a ride with the Andorra Bus Tour: The Andorra Bus Tour is probably the most comfortable way to discover the country. The 7 itineraries on offer cover all of the parishes of the Principality with different central themes: Romanesque art, traditions, trades, etc.
- Make it on a budget with the PassMuseum: The PassMuseu is an interesting, easy and money-saving way to discover Andorra's museums. Notice that each pass is personal and non-transferable, and each coupon is valid for a particular museum. The PassMuseu is valid for a period of one year from the purchase date and is only valid for listed museums.
- Andorra's Falles is the country most important event: The Falles, the summer solstice fire festival, is celebrated in several regions of the Pyrenees. In November 2015, they were included on UNESCO's List of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- Get historical with the Romanesque Art: Discover Andorra's Romanesque art in the more than 40 churches and monuments that will give you a view of the inhabitant's life of the valleys in the pass.
Tours in Andorra
There are several travel agencies and tour companies that offer quality tours around the city and region. The most popular ones are:
- Andorra3000 is specialized in mountain routes and wall climbing
- EpicAndorra organizes activities for all ages and seasons, as well as tailored-made adventures and exclusive and private activities
- The Nature Explorer organizes all year long tours both for private bookings and for big and incentive groups. Its tours include cultural sightseeing, hiking around Andorra's wild nature and 4x4 drives
- Experiència Muntanya was the first travel and tour agency in Andorra and it is still considered the biggest one. They offer all kinds of adventure activities: from rafting, bridge swing and via ferrata, to heliski, snow shoeing, etc.
- Peu de Gat organizes activities and tours both in Andorra and outside the country.
Festivals in Andorra
There are quite a lot of annual events worth knowing about before you move to Andorra. During summer they are organized in open-air spaces and are directed towards kids and families. In winter, mountain activities and competitions take place in the 6th smallest country in Europe.
- Andorra International Jazz Festival: Andorra's biggest jazz festival takes place in Escaldes-Engordany in July
- Andorra SwimRun: In 2018, Andorra welcomes a new sport modality, the "swimrun". This race, which combines mountain and swimming races, will be held in the Coma d'Arcalís, Ordino, in mid-August. For this first edition, the program is organized in two races: the Andorra Long Swimrun, 17 km, and the Andorra Short Swimrun, 10.8 km long, both with start and finish in the Coma d'Arcalís.
- Horizon Festival: An electronic music festival held in the ski resort of Arinsal. Over seven days, a carefully curated line-up of internationally renowned DJs and artists bring the party to numerous venues across the resort.
- Nits d'estiu als museus: Every year the "Museums Summer Nights" season features activities aimed at all audiences. The Museums' Committee has prepared a programme of more than sixty-five events for you to enjoy this summer. Download the full programme of the Summer Nights at the Museums 2018.
- 2018 Mountain Races World Championship: The 34th edition of the Mountain Races World Championship will be held in Canillo. The competition programme includes two races: senior and junior, for both males and females. The senior race will be 11.7 km long, and the junior race is 7.7 km long. More information available at Federació Andorrana d'Atletisme.
Discounts in Andorra
Although Andorra does not offer a "tourism city card", the country is an AltitudeCard affiliate member; a discount and privilege card for skiers and snowboarders (the country main attraction) both in Europe and North America.
By purchasing this card or quoting your unique membership number, you will be able to save £100's each year on 1000's of exclusive deals around the world in over 500 ski resorts. As well as on holidays, equipment rental, ski/snowboard schools, restaurants, mountain restaurants, transfers and much more. AltitudeCard can also provide great savings in the U.K. including travel insurance, snow domes, airport parking, mountain sports shops and health spas.
PassMuseu card to Andorran Museums
Another available option to get discounts is to purchase the Andorra "PassMuseu", which will allow you to discover Andorra's art and culture through its museums. This passport allows access to 18 museums for only 19€! PassMuseum ticket is valid for one entry per museum and person for 1 year. It can be purchased both at museums and at the country's tourism offices.