Location independence or digital nomad refers to a career that does not require your presence in a specific location to complete a job. Workers usually only require a connection through technology. The many expats and travelers enjoying location independence are a testament to the viability of these careers. Whether it means you are starting a new career or transitioning from what you are doing now, the most important thing to remember is that it is possible.
In many ways, starting off a location independent career is starting a new business. This includes many challenges and rewards that you need to be prepared for. Here are some tips to help you succeed.
1. Do what you love. As the CEO of your own company, it is important to understand that you will need to be the motivator and workhorse behind any project. That will be close to impossible unless you love what you do.
2. Create a support system. There will be hard times ahead and you will need someone to complain to, help you, and possibly a shoulder to cry on. This could be your friends and family, or you can build like minded networks through social media forums.
3. Prepare While You're Still Employed. Realize that you may need to live on your savings so build up a fund to hod you over until you make a profit. Also use this time to build a clients or customer list.
4. Create a Business Plan. It is exciting embarking on a new career, but many people make the mistake of treating a new business like a hobby versus a real career. A business plan helps clarify what you need and what you expect to succeed.
5. Get professional help. Identify any areas you may need help with and realize your weaknesses. Just because you're starting a business, doesn't mean you have to be an expert on everything. If numbers aren't something you are confident about, look into hiring an accountant or bookkeeper. If you need to write up a contract and you're not a lawyer, hire one. In the long run, this can save you invaluable time and resources.
Consult our FAQ made by the most frequently asked questions and specific terms of expatriation.
You can ask details, information and post comments on the forums.The list of all the questions in the website language is available in one click, ordered by refreshed date or by number of hits.