Forum Travel

Forum of expats Travel: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN We were interviewed for Spanish news

Discussion in 'Travel' started by massagelondon, Apr 29, 2005.

1. massagelondon

massagelondon Active Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Languages:
    English
    Email from one of my friends, Blagsta:

"Well we were supposed to fly back from Almeria airport on Friday night after a lovely 10 day holiday in Andalucia, but Ryanair decided to cancel our flight at scheduled departure time. They kept us hanging around for nearly an hour and a half before telling us to collect our luggage and go to their ticket office. They then informed us to come back at 10am the following day when there may or may not be information about a flight, here's a list of hotels you have to book and pay for yourselves, good night.

Up until this point everyone had been patiently waiting around, but at this, everyone was up in arms. Ryanair do say that they won't provide accomodation in the event of a flight cancellation, but there is an EU law that compels them to do so. One person got the poster off the wall telling us this and stuck it up by the Ryanair office. Their response was to provide us with a piece of paper with some mealy mouthed bullshit on it about how it was an unfair law and they were challenging it in court. Although apparently they have had their challenge thrown out.

They refused to provide food, water or any information, we were forced to steal food and water from a shop in the airport (which was well funny seeing loads of British tourists doing a mass shoplift with security unable to do anything about it!). About 70 of us were forced to sleep on the airport floor.

The next morning, the Ryanair representatives at Almeria airport (a bunch of arrogant, unfriendly, hostile snotty nosed little shits barely out of their teens) informed us that there would be a flight at 2pm that day, but still refused to compensate us for food or anything.

Spanish TV news turned up and interviewed me, Red Cat and another woman, using an Italian passenger as a translator.

What happened next beggars belief however - the aforementioned Italian woman had already missed a connecting flight from Stansted to Genoa to get home and wanted to ring through to Stansted to make sure that she could get on the next flight and that they were aware she was coming. The Ryanair staff flat out refused to phone for her and refused to give her the telephone number, claiming they didn't have it. Only after 3 hours of arguing did they claim that they would try and phone (I doubt they did though).

However, it gets worse - one of the blokes who'd been very vocal about our rights was then accused of throwing water over the computer monitor in the Ryanair office, just as we were about to check in for the flight home. The Ryanair staff tried to get him arrested and denied him boarding of the flight. We know that he didn't throw any water (he did however, as we were going to queue up to check in, call them a bunch of wankers - which they were). They waited until 10 or 15 minutes after the alleged water throwing to come over and try and confiscate his passport and refuse him checking in. Me and Red Cat and a few others acted as witnesses and told the police that it wasn't true and they believed us, saying that the Ryanair manager (an arroogant waste of space kid not much older than 20) was a liar and a "son of a bitch". Ryanair still refused him boarding, leaving his wife in absolute distress. It was pure vindictiveness on Ryanair's part because he stood up for our rights.

To cap it off, when we were going through the departure gate, I told the manager and his snotty nosed bitch of an assistant that he was a disgusting excuse for a human being and that he ought to be ashamed of himself and he then tried to get my passport off me and refuse me boarding! Red Cat barged him with her rucksack (which Ryanair had trashed on the outward flight into Granada, but to be fair, the Ryanair staff at Granada airport were very nice and helpful, although Ryanair seem to be trying to duck responsibility) and we legged it on the flight. We were expecting at least a free bottle of water on the flight, but were refused that as well.

So to sum up - Ryanair think that they are above EU law and their staff at Almeria airport are vindictive little shitbags. We gonna try and get compensation"