Forum Ireland

Forum of expats in Ireland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Visa for no eu spouse for ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by gbsa, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbsa

gbsa Member

hello everyone ,i really appreciate your efforts at helping people solve thier problems,i must confess this is a wonderful and effective site.

i am a nigerian married to a british lady ,we met in the uk while i was there on a visit last yaer,we got married in nigeria september 2005,we moved to belgium because of the difficulties of getting a settlement visa in nigeria,we are both legally resident in belgium and january 2006 she gave birth to our son in belgium,the problem is that we are finding it very difficult to get jobs in belgium as it is a prerequisite to speak and understand flemeish before you can get any job in belgium.we decided it would be better to go to ireland and we applied for a visa in december 2005 and up til now they have not made a decision,my wife got a job offer in limerick ireland and notified the dept of justice in ireland but they said she has to come to ireland first and i would be able to join her in 6 months when they make a decision ,i think this is a violation of eu regulations ,please can you advise us;thanks

2. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    So decision has not been made yet!?
    It can take up to 3 months.
    In the meantime your wife can email/fax (all 3 provided)dept of justice and minister stating that she is UK citizen that she is coming with you and she would like decision made ASAP.

visamail@justice.ie

Fax: + 353 1 6615461
    Email: minister@justice.ie

3. ben_ifa

ben_ifa Active Member

Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Wrong!

Hi there.

I am a British citizen and my wife is Singaporean. We are currently living in Waterford, Ireland. It's very simple. We both arrived in Ireland (stayed with a friend initially). We went to the Garda National Immigration Bureau in Dublin, showed them my British passport, my wife's Singapore passport and our marriage certificate. My wife's passport was then stamped with a residency permit and she had her photo taken and given a Registration Card (a bit like an ID card). The process took about half an hour and was fuss-free. The next day we both applied for our PPS numbers, they came in about 2-3 days through the post. Now have these we can both work legally in Ireland. As the residency stamp and ID card is only valid for one year at a time, we must go back to Dublin once a year to get them renewed. After four years my wife will have permenant residency and hence have no need to make such annual visits. Now, as you are a non-EEA male married to an EEA female, the procedure is slightly different. Instead of having your Nigeran passport stamped with a residency permit, you will be issued with a seperate Residency Permit (I believe this may be in the form of an ID card, though I'm not sure). This is because wives are considered not to be independent of their husbands. In any case, it's more or less the same thing. So, in a nutshell, just arrive in Ireland, you and your wife go to the Garda National Immigration Bureau in Dublin, show both your passports plus marriage cert, and job done. Very easy. You cannot be refused, as your wife has a legal right to live in the Republic of Ireland without restriction. As her husband, you have exactly the same right as she does. You will both be entitled to Public Funds including housing benifet, unemployment benefit, child benefit, healthcare etc etc. Here is a link that will confirm everything I have stated:
    http://migration.ucc.ie/cdvec.htm
    Also see:
    http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... iedeea.htm

One thing though, since you are Nigerean, you will need a visa to enter Ireland when you first arrive here. I believe, though I am not sure, that all you need to do is obtain a standard tourist visa. This will be free of charge since you are a non-EEA spouse of an EEA national. You can apply at http://www.foreignaffairs.gov.ie/default.asp This will get you into the country. From then on you can just follow my advise above. Lastly, of course your baby (as the child of an EEA national), will also have residency rights in Ireland. Good luck to you, let me know how you get on!

Kind regards,
    Ben.

4. gbsa

gbsa Member

hi ben
    first of all let me thak you for ur responce,it was detailed and articulate ,God bless you,i agree with you that i have the same rights as my wife in ireland but on lke ur case singaporeans do not need visas into ireland,so it is very easy for them just to travel and come over and register withe immigration on arrival but when i applied they said my wife ahs to come to ireland first and later i can join her after 6 months ,under eu regulations i should be given a visa without delay and fee of charge although i think we amde a mistake by saying on my visa application we wanted to come and reside but i just was telling the truth,if i ahd applied for a tourist visa it would have taken 6 weeks max,can i now say we want to come for a visit or we should maintain that she is moving there permanently.friends are advising me to go there illegally and they can not turn me back as my wife and kids are with me and i have a right to be with them.and Ben may i ask you how easy is it to rent accomodation as my wife is intending to travel there and i join her later if it comes to the worst as she ahs already secured employment in limerick.thank you

5. gbsa

gbsa Member

Hello Ben sorry for bothering you what is the process if my wife wants to apply for unemployment benefit and housing benefit and child allowance,is the process easy.what documents does she need to apply for her pps numbers and for my sons.Thank you very much

6. ben_ifa

ben_ifa Active Member

Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi again,

Firstly, I really wouldn't like to advise you on the best route to take to get into the country though, to be honest, if in your shoes I'd arrive on a tourist visa and once in, apply for residency as advised. It's a bit cheeky I know but I really cannot find any other legitimate way for you. As you have said, you have a right to be there, so the authorities cannot turn you away. I *think* it will be fine. Renting accommodation is easy. In Waterford alone there are many apartments available, and new apartment blocks are shooting up all the time, it really is a booming country over here! Average rent in Waterford for a 2 bedroom furnished apartment is about EUR600 per month. Better to put it in your wife's name, and as it's her first time renting in Ireland she would usually need to provide the landlord with a character reference, maybe from a recent employer. Also the norm is to provide a deposit of 2 months rent when moving in. Applying for PPS numbers for all of you is straightforward, just pop down to the local welfare office with all your birth certificates, passports and a proof of address. For proof of address you can provide a landline telephone bill or similar. Just get the phone line connected when you move in by calling Eirecom on 1901. You will receive your first bill in about 2 weeks or less, and this can be used as proof of address when you apply for your PPS numbers. You can also use this to open bank accounts, along with your passport. For banking, I recommend Permenant TSB Bank. They are one of the only banks that are free, and their service is pretty good. Applying for benefits is easy. Again, ID must be shown (your wife's ID), and, as she is British, she would need to give her UK National Insurance number. All National Insurance Contributions that she paid in the UK can then be verified (assuming she worked whilst in the UK), and that will ensure benefits that she is entitled to can be claimed. As for yourself, as you are her husband, she can claim Unemployment Benefit for you on your behalf, in a joint application. The staff at the welfare office are friendly and will assist you fully, don't worry. Any other questions, please ask and I'll do my best. It's a good life here, you have lots to look forward to!

7. gbsa

gbsa Member

Thanks Ben you are one in a millions,no wonder the brits would always be tops in europe,i dont know if you can connect us with any landlord in your area,we are willing to supply the letter of good character and deposit,how easy is it to get jobs in ireland and do the apartments come furnished.thank you

8. gbsa

gbsa Member

hello Ben when you say 2 months deposit and it is 600 a month so the total we would give would be 1200 i reckon ,pls confirm this for me.thank you

9. ben_ifa

ben_ifa Active Member

Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi there,

In Waterford, I know of at least two letting agents. One is Whitford Property Management, who are on +353 51 876660. Another is Castle Estates, who are on +353 51 870999. The latter have a website which is http://www.castle-estates.ie where you can browse the available properties. Apartments generally come fully furnished. The going rate is about EUR600 per month (in Waterford City area). There are plenty available, and houses too, but obviously you will pay more for a house. They require a security deposit equal to one months rent, plus a months rent in advance. So, for example, if the monthly rent is EUR600, you'd need to put EUR1200 up front. Bills are not included though, so you'd have to budget for gas, electricty and landline telephone (if required). Water is supplied free of charge in Waterford, so no bills at all for that. There is also no council tax or similar charges. Waterford is a lovely area. There is an airport which is around 10 minutes drive (or bus) from the centre, and you can fly from Waterford to Manchester, London Luton, and also somewhere in France (I forget where). The main train and bus stations are near to one another, and you can travel to almost anywhere in Ireland. For example, a return bus ticket from Waterford to Dublin is EUR13.50, and is direct and takes about 3 hours. Incidentally, I don't know whether or not a visa is required for Nigerian nationals to enter the UK, but in any case, if you fly from Ireland to anywhere in the UK directly, there are no immigration controls in place. So, say you fly from Waterford to Manchester, in Manchester airport you will not go through passport control at all. This is because there are no immigration controls between the UK and Ireland. I thought this info might be handy to you if ever you wanted to fly to the UK to visit your wife's family, for example. Lastly, there are plenty of jobs around. Simply visit the FAS office (job centre) when you arrive, they're sure to help you. You can even attend a training scheme if you so wish. There are many to choose from, like computer courses, office skills etc. They last from around 16 to 20 weeks, and are day courses, Monday to Friday. You get a qualification at the end of it and, best of all, you get paid about EUR165 a week for doing it. So if you can't find work straight away, this might be a good option to take if you prefer not to take Unemployment Benefit. Of course, any extra qualifications will look good on your CV! Right, well I think I've answered all. Do let me know if you need anything else, I'm happy to help. Oh and by the way, and for your info, there are a number of Nigerians resident in Waterford. A friend of mine, Eddy, is from Nigeria. There is even an African shop in the city centre (on the quay). It is run by Africans (though I'm unsure which country they are from), and they sell all types of African products, from food to hair styling products! Bye for now, Ben.

10. raj79

raj79 New Member

hi ben!!
    well i'm raj from india...i'm married to a slovakian girl. we are living in india right know & planing to come to ireland.
    here i was reading your post in which u have told that nigrian brother about all this ...it seems to be very easy(is it???)
    enyway ... as u have said in your post that your wife get a stamp(resi. permit ) which is vaild for just one year.... but as its explain europa.eu.int it should be 5years.. & what do u advice us (me) how do we come to ireland ..should we aply for settlmant visa or i just come with tourist visa or may be my wife come there first & find a job & than sponsor me ..it very difficult for us.
    pls help us thanx in adv...RAJ

11. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Advising people to do unlawful things is not permitted on this forum.

Five years residence permit is granted after 1 year.Stamp number 4.

12. gbsa

gbsa Member

Hi Ben
    Thanks for your useful info,i have decided to take ur advise and apply for a tourist visa ,but from there requirements i need a letter of invitation,do you know of anyone that can provide this ,i dont mind if you connect me with ur nigerian friend i would appreciate this very much,my wife read ur replies and appreciates it very much,is there any way we can talk to you.thanks

13. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Have you been refused visa?
    You dont any invitation , the point is to go with your wife!

14. ben_ifa

ben_ifa Active Member

Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Triple H: I have not advised anything unlawful! It is a fact that ANY person can enter the UK via ROI without restriction. Recently my wife and I travelled from Shannon airport to London Stansted. When I found that there were no immigration controls to speak of, I asked the chief immigration officer in charge. And, "straight from the horse's mouth", he told me that any person arriving in the UK from ROI will not pass through immigration. I asked him, in the case of my wife, how she will know how long she is permitted to stay in the UK for, being as her passport would not be asked for, let only stamped. The officer just shrugged and explained that the system is like that. I asked him, in that case, how do they stop visa-required nationals or stateless people arriving in the UK from ROI. He replied, we can't. Laws are in place that allow unrestricted movement of all people, regardless of there status, between the UK and the ROI. So, in short, if a Nigerian national arrives in the UK from ROI, he would be allowed into the UK quite legally. I agree that it appears somewhat a bizarre loophole, but neverless, it's there, and it's legal.

Triple H: Thank you for this info, most valuable.

I'm happy to put you in contact with Eddy. He's a nice guy, bit of a Del Boy, but a good bloke all the same! I'll see if I can get his number and PM you once I do.
    @Triple H, I believe he needs a letter of invitation in order to get a tourist visa. He wants to arrive on a tourist visa because he's afraid that if he arrives without one, he may be refused entry into the country. At least with a tourist visa he is permitted entry. And once in, he and his wife can visit the Garda National Immigration Bureau in Dublin and get all sorted. Of course, he *might not* need a tourist visa. He and his family might arrive at the airport with nothing and be let in without a visa, on the basis that they are legally migrating to Ireland under EU law. It's unfortunatrly a grey area when the non-EEA spouse of an EEA national is also a visa-required national. Does anyone have any better knowledge than I to help our friend?

15. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Where on earth did you get that info from?

??????????????

16. brownbonno

brownbonno Active Member

Tripple H,

If you read in between lines of Ben's note.Its quite clear.That is the same practice among Schengen states(no border post).There is no need for embarrasing replies to Ben's post.
    I have taken a critical look at some of your replies to posts on this forum.I suggest You be more critical on some of your comments as an Administrator of this this forum.

Ben,

Thanks for your info.

FORUM:Where are Coyan and Polskasweetie ? :(
    Please come back with your valuable contributions.Don't let this forum down.

BB

17. gbsa

gbsa Member

Thanks a lot Ben,i would appreciate it if you do

18. ben_ifa

ben_ifa Active Member

Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    @brownbonno. Thanks for the response, your comments are appreciated. I hope we can continue to help on this case!

@gbsa. Expect to have a PM from me soon. Remember, if you have anything else to ask, please do so.

19. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Anyone attempting to enter the UK if visa national ,needs a visa .

20. Triple H

Triple H Addicted member

City:
    Dublin
    Living In:
    Ireland
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    To GBSA

You have applied for a visa,wait till that comes through,as spouse of EU national you should get the visa for Ireland within 3 months,try to follow my first post,complain if necessary to the addresses I provided.
    Second application if you follow Bens lead would just downgrade your chances.You should not be even thinking of it.
    Unfortunately immmigration laws are very strict.Thats why this forum,thats why rules.

@BEN

Advising someone to break the law E.G

Entering the UK with no proper visa,entering Ireland with no visa(GBSA WOULD NOT PASS THE BRUSSELS AIRPORT,, never mind the Wateforrd Ireland) its not very helpfull.

I suggest we all take a brake and reflect on things