Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN USA Passport Renewal/Biometrics

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by move2UK, Jun 24, 2014.

1. move2UK

move2UK Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi all!!! It has been awhile since I have posted due to receiving my UK ILR and Biometrics back in September 2013. My query is regarding renewing my USA Passport and a name change and what needs to be done about my Biometrics permit.

My USA Passport expired in January 2014, four months after receiving my UK ILR Visa (Biometrics Residence Permit). I moved to the UK in April 2011 on a Fiance Visa with my USA Passport with ex-married name so my first and latest Biometrics reflects that same name. I was told I could not change my name until I also changed my USA Passport as the Biometrics needed to match the passport. I had no problems in obtaining my UK ILR with my ex-married name even though I use my new married name as my legal name in the UK. I am totally confused if I need to do anything with my Biometrics permit or can I just renew the USA Passport and keep the expired Passport with my Biometrics permit that shows my ex-married name? I would like to make matters less complicated and with the least money possible as we are living from paycheck to paycheck. Another option I have heard some people discuss on other forums, they didn't bother to change their name on their passport or biometrics, they carry their marriage certificate with their passports when they travel. Help, which is the best way to go?

Thanks all!!!

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I hope you were able to figure out a method. What did you go with? I tweeted your request as well in the hopes someone can offer their experience.

Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...