Forum Shanghai

Forum of expats in Shanghai: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Shopping in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Shanghai' started by texkourgan, Aug 28, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome EasyExpat.com!

Shopping is an Olympic sport for some people, while others just need tips on where to find common goods in Shanghai. Do you like to shop? What is your favourite part of shopping? What is the worst part?

What did you find confusing to find when you moved aboard? Is there a special item you are still looking for? Do you shop online or ship items from abroad? What should new expats know about finding product in Shanghai? Do you have tips or favorite stores?

Where is the best place to shop for groceries? Where are your favorite shopping malls or boutiques?

Thank you for sharing your experience and providing information for others to follow in your footsteps!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. daidou

daidou New Member

City:
    paris
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    english
    Grocery shopping / best products at good price ?

Hi All,

I have been living in Shanghai close to 10 years now and with the arrival of our second kid, and his entry in Kindergarten , the budget do tend to get a bit tight. which brings me to my question. I'm open to all sorts of info you guys can spare.

Where do you guys go shop for pantries groceries.
    (not vegies, fish and meat but the rest)
    It does give me an itch to spend 40 kuai for a pack of good cornflakes, 25 for biscuits .... 400 for powdered milk is really abusive
    Prices for imported food are on average 3 times higher than back home
    i do understand chain stores like Carrefour are charged with transportation costs, import duty ....
    I understand too that there is a cost to living like home when you are in fact 10'000km away from home.

anyway. let me know if you guys have any good tip.
    I live in Gubei but work in Minhang so i do travel, location is not an issue.

sorry for the long read and thanks for reading

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hi daidou and welcome to EasyExpat.com.
    I have merged your post with an existing topic that was open to talk about shopping in Shanghai.
    In general I assume that food familiar to Europeans (or Americans) are more expensive. Unfortunately it's not only China that expats complain about, and I remember similar comments about Middle East too :eek: .
    In addition to the forum, you might find some tips and advice in expats blogs here: http://www.blogexpat.com/en/dir/china/shanghai.htm
    See you soon on the forum and feel free to share your findings and other tips :wave:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ana38

ana38 Member

Living In:
    Romania
    Nationality:
    Romanian (RO)
    Languages:
    romanian, english
    I don't know about food shopping but shopping for fashion, it's amazing there, i love to bargain so it's the perfect place to do it. and you can find good quality clothes and shoes, you just have to really go around.