Forum Turkey

Forum of expats in Turkey: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice New Members in Turkey: Welcome!

Discussion in 'Turkey' started by texkourgan, Jun 24, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome to EasyExpat.com -

This topic is specifically dedicated to new comers in Turkey. We invite you to introduce yourself here!

Why have you come here? Is it for internship? Studies? A job? Or simply in order to discover new lands?

If you have already secured a job, how did you find it? How long do you think you will stay in Turkey?

How was your move? What happened for your first steps here?

What was the easiest thing / the most difficult to adapt to?

We point expats to the comprehensive Istanbul city guide. This resource will help you learn more about visas, jobs, transportation, etc. Along with that, leave your answers and questions here in the forum. Thanks in advance for your answers and here’s to a good discussion!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. permitinturkey

permitinturkey New Member

City:
    Istanbul
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    Turkish (TR)
    Languages:
    English, Turkish
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Altay Boran and I am a Turkish-American citizen living in Istanbul. I lived in the US until last summer (2012) in several different cities before moving here. I have started working for a website called permitinturkey.com. What we do here is help ex-patriots move to Istanbul by assisting them in filing resident permits, work permits, commercial permits (needed to open a new business), and visas. If anyone is interested in learning more, please feel free to visit our website. I look forward to participating more in this blog and meeting others that regularly participate. Thank you reading and hosca kal.

PS: please like us on facebook (facebook.com/permitinturkey) and follow us on twitter (Permit in Turkey)

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hey, maube you can give some help here and give some information/experience on the different topics that we have posted about moving, working,,,etc in the forum about Turkey ?
    Thanks in advance for your help :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. easylife1010

easylife1010 New Member

City:
    istanbul
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    tagalog,english,turkish
    Filipino in Turkey

Hello guys. I am living in Turkey/Istanbul. I just moved on Turkey 2 months ago. I am half turkish and half filipino. My grandma was a filipino and grandpa was a turkish(god bless them because they passed away last year)
    I found a job here in istanbul and i accepted that because i wanted to see turkey .. It is my second country. I am good on speaking english and turkish. I m trying to be better on tagalog also :)
    I want to meet with filipinos in turkey. I know it is difficult to live in another country. different language,different culture etc.
    I hope we can meet .
    please feel free to contact me

bye for now

5. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Hello easylife1010 & welcome to EasyExpat! We encourage you to check out the Istanbul city guide, and share information and questions you have on the forum.

Since you are interested in meeting up with people, perhaps you ant to arrange an Expat Meet-up in Turkey. This is a great place to organize language exchange etc.

I would also recommend contacting people on the expat network in Turkey, and reading expat blogs in Turkey.

Good luck meeting up & thanks for sharing info about life in Turkey!

6. BIMBA

BIMBA New Member

City:
    Barcelona
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    Spanish (ES)
    Languages:
    Español, catalán, Italian, English.
    Thank you very much!! I m a new member and my name is Emma and I m from Spain.
    all the best!

7. tpwturkey

tpwturkey New Member

City:
    Antalya
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    Turkish (TR)
    Languages:
    English, Turkish, German
    Hi from Antalya, Turkey

Hello everyone, I always enjoy meeting new people and sharing ideas.

If you have any questions for Antalya I'd be glad to help out.

Selin

8. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Hello tpwturkey and welcome to EasyExpat.com. i moved your post in the Turkey forum where it's more appropriate.

We have opened many topics where you could help and give information, tips and advice for expats and future expats in Turkey. You will find them in our forum for Turkey (labelled with a [​IMG]). For example:
    :arrow: Cost of living in Turkey
    :arrow: Shopping in Turkey
    :arrow: The Best Areas to Live in Turkey
    :arrow: Public Transportation in Turkey
    :arrow: Childcare in Turkey
    :arrow: Flat or House: How to Rent in Turkey
    :arrow: etc.

I hope you can help. Thanks in advance :thumbup:

9. mylpa

mylpa New Member

City:
    Istanbul
    Living In:
    Turkey
    Nationality:
    Filipino (PH)
    Languages:
    English, Filipino
    Hello everyone,

Just arrived 2 1/2 weeks ago from Manila, Philippines. Although this is my second trip to Istanbul, I'll be here for a longer period, and all the expat tips will definitely be helpful. It's certainly been challenging and exhilarating all at the same time. I'm looking forward to meeting easyexpat members sometime soon if there are any meet-ups in Istanbul. I live in the Avcilar area and know that there's much exploring to do :)

Mylene

10. texkourgan

Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    Hi mylpa! I refer you to the post above referencing blogs, meet-ups & the guide:

11. magic140

magic140 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi All

I am new on here and from the UK.

Any help with the below would be much appreciated.

I am looking at moving to Istanbul in the future end of year/early next year at latest and have relatives of relatives of relatives in-laws over there. I would be looking to move near them which is Ortabayir, Kagithane, area.

I would be looking to rent an unfurnished apartment which would be pet friendly for a small dog. The apartment would need a lift/elevator, be 3+ bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and duplex. Would like balcony/terrace and handy for shops, metro, bus, taxis/means of travel etc..

I have looked on Remax, Trovit, Centry 21, hurryelmat, emlakjet so far, but there are not many apartments available.

Any help would be much appreciated – ie, further websites to look at, any rentals you would know about that are suitable?

Would you say that I could get a suitable apartment in that location, for 3000 – 4000 TYL per month rental or would I be looking at a higher price?

I have a dog which I would be transporting - I am thinking of overland rather than flying - I think my dog would be very scared regarding flying, but is very used to travelling long journeys in a car. As far as I can see there is no quarantine for a dog if you have had the correct injections and blood tests as required and carry a pet certificate from a vet in the UK?? – Would you know if I am correct?

Job Wise - I have an illness which would mean me looking for a home-working job preferably to start with - does anyone know how easy are these to come by in Istanbul? I will do anything within reason. I have a computing degree and over 20 years works experience in reception/clerical/adminstration/technical asst positions. I have looked on learn4good and jobsinistanbul so far - any other websites or help would be appreciated. I know salaries are not as good as over here in UK, but I suppose cost of living makes up for that?

Also how easy is it to get around - buses,metro, taxis etc?

Anyone know if Bank interest rates - are they higher, lower or same as here?

Does anyone know if you are able to take a dog on a bus, metro, or taxi in Istanbul?

Thank you in advance for your help

12. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
  13. magic140

magic140 New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English
    Yes, lots of questions - is that a good or bad thing tho ...... Am looking forward to finding out and sharing any info I come across too.

14. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    ALWAYS good! :geek: :thumbup: