Forum Italy

Forum of expats in Italy: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Getting an Italian Passport when De Facto

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Ausital, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Ausital

Ausital New Member

City:
    Sydneh
    Living In:
    Australia
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English
    Hi there,

I recently investigated and found that you could get an italian passport if you were married to an italian citizen for more than 3 years (without living in italy, no kids). I also recently read that Italy now recognises de facto relationships.

I have been de facto with my Italian partner for 6 years now, and defacto is recognised in Australia where we live. Does anyone know if this now means i could get an italian passport using my de facto status?

Thanks!

2. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    The "de facto" rule for Italy seemsvery similar to the French rule.
    Civil unions of same-sex partners and specific rights to partners, regardless of their sexuality, who “live as a couple in a stable relationship” (known as De Facto Relationships, unioni di fatto or convivenze) are recognised by law (since May 2016).

The law is made of 2 parts. The first part regulates legality of same sex relationship (very similar to marriage). The second part, called Coppie di fatto (De facto couples) relates to rights and duty of couples (heterosexual or of the same sex) living in a "stable" relationship (must be registered as a famiglia anagrafica in the city registry).

In this article they said:
    I advise you also to have a look at this other discussion :arrow: HERE where you will get other information.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...