Forum San Francisco

Forum of expats in San Francisco: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Flat or House: How to Rent in San Francisco

Discussion in 'San Francisco' started by texkourgan, Aug 29, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello!

One of the first things to do when settling in San Francisco is to find a home. In order to rent a flat (or a house) you should familiarize yourself with the area, determine where you want to live, and evaluate what you need. Consider access to shops, schools, transport, and work.

If you have already been through the process of selecting a home in San Francisco, you can provide valuable advice on how and why you selected your home, and provide tips for people moving to your area.

How did you find your accommodation? Estate agent or classifieds? Did you use a website? Or did you find your place through friends or word-of-mouth?

Was it quick to find or did it take a long time? What are the essential points you considered (transport, schools, shops… etc).

How much is the average price of accommodation? What are the costs involved for renting? Do you need a deposit? Guarantees?

What are the formalities and the contract requirements in San Francisco? Are there important clauses members should consider? Is there an inventory? What are the conditions for leaving or giving notice?

Please offer your advice or questions! This is a tricky step in moving abroad and personal advice, mistakes to avoid and things to consider are extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience! :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Marion.B

Marion.B New Member

Living In:
    France
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English
    Renting a flat in San Francisco

Hi everyone,

I'm writing here, because i'm moving to San Francisco in June.
    French & Analyst, I don't know the city at all, even if I asked some people around me regarding the neighborhoods where the "life is easier" ! :)

I'm looking for a flat in SF ideally of course, or maybe Oakland, but near a train station.

I would like to know if you have any tips about my request? A flat to rent? Or even a number/email adress of a real-estate agent I can contact & could help me to find a flat while i'm in France?

Thank you for your help!
    Marion

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...