Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Difficult decision related to my rent

Discussion in 'Spain' started by someSven, Sep 20, 2018.

1. someSven

someSven New Member

City:
    San Isidro
    Living In:
    Spain
    Nationality:
    German (DE)
    Languages:
    Deutsch, English
    I have a decision to make, which is not so easy for me. On the other hand, even weighting my options here might make me look bad.

My rental contract is coming to an end in two month. I lived several years in the apartment. According to my contracts I have to pay for energy and water ('gastos privativos'). However, I never got a bill and also not any complaints for not paying anything. This lead me to think the cost are so low that I they just don't bother.

Now, I got bills with the amount of around 1400 Euros, and I even don't know if this is all of it. It clearly doesn't cover the whole time, it's like they're just so chaotic that these bills are the ones they have found so far. They only go back to 2015, I live there since 2014, and there are gaps.

So my options are:
    1. Paying, hoping that I'll get a new contact, the rent will not be significant higher, and there won't come in more bills.
    2. Search for a new place and just leave. (I don't have any relevant property in Spain.)
    3. Asking for getting the new contract first, and the assurance that there will be no other old bills. Of course, if they want to get rid of me or increase the rent significantly, that would warn them.

I also like to add that I don't have problems with my landlord, it's some small holding. It is also to consider that I could have cut my costs if I would have known that they are so high. I also think they might have had the idea of not letting my pay these bills as long as the market was not so great, so that I don't move out. Now that the situation changed more in their favor, they are even coming up with these old bills.
    Oh, and I got the contract for the Nov 2017 - Nov 2018 just now with the bills.

Questions:
    - Is this a common pattern or a random event? Has anyone been in a similar situation?
    - Could the reason for all of this be, that I would be in there for 5 years after my next contract, and they prefer a change or a raise of the rent.
    - Any thoughts on this? Though, very heavy moral judgement about my 'option 2' won't be apreciated.