Forum Ireland

Forum of expats in Ireland: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Car Rental in Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by texkourgan, Oct 16, 2019.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    I recently rented a car in Ireland and though it was without incident (despite the very narrow lanes), there are a few things I would point out to others thinking of doing the same.

• If you plan to drive to Northern Ireland, be aware an additional 30 euro fee will be added to your charges. It does extend your liability, but we were surprised.
    • It seems there is some ambiguity if you need to pay for the toll freeway leading into the airport - or if the rental company covers it. Anyone have insight into this?
    Safe driving out there!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. conorgly

conorgly New Member

City:
    LONDON
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Irish (IE)
    Languages:
    English
    Beware of scams when renting cars in Ireland. I got caught by a scam at Hertz Shannon Airport Scam. Avoid them at all costs.
    So called customer damage.
    Barely drove the car, on main & quiet roads to and from my parents house to the airport.
    Returned the car out of hours to short term car park, got my flight. Checked it over thoroughly with my wife and it was fine.
    Received an email saying they were charging me 993euro for cutomer damage, showed me a picture of 3 small scrapes under the front left bumper. I refute and contested it. A day later they emailed me to say they were only going to charge me 476 euro, obviously part of the scam, as if they are doing me a favour.
    Happened to me at the end of August 2021.
    Hertz Claims department are also complicit in the scamming. I logged a case got a reply the next day from someone in customer service, no name, no case number, no job title, no place of work, just Hertz Customer Service, saying they looking into the case and found no wrong doing and I was liable for the damage.
    Ran in to others who had similar issues. Its morally wrong and unjust what Hertz Ireland are doing to their customers. Its truely appalling that they can get away with it in 2021. Please avoid these Hertz scammers.