Forum Portugal

Forum of expats in Portugal: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Buying Property in Portugal

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by texkourgan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Hello and welcome -

Buying property abroad can be quite intimidating, even if you have lived in Portugal as an expat for years! Some questions you may have…

Can a foreigner buy property in Portugal? If so, is it complicated? What is the process for purchasing property? Is there anything a foreign buyer should be especially aware of?

Have you been through the process? What advice can you give to other expats in Portugal looking to buy - either a home or an investment property? Do you have a check-list or tips you can provide?

Thanks for sharing!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Nellyca

Nellyca New Member

City:
    Schiedam
    Living In:
    Netherlands
    Nationality:
    Dutch (NL)
    Languages:
    Nederlands, Engels, German, French, Portuguese
    Hello, I am Nellyca and I will retire next year. I hope to sell my house for a good price and if I make enough money, I would like to buy an apartment in Portugal - preferably Cascais or Lisboa - or otherwise rent an apartment to spend my final years in Portugal. I will look for a 3-bedroom apartment. I have already started Portuguese classes so I will be able to speak a little Portuguese and I expect that, once I really live there, I will become more fluent in it. Does anybody have an advice for me how to go about renting an apartment for a long time?

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello @Nellyca
    I have moved your message to an existing topic about buying accommodation in Portugal.
    You can have a look at our guide for expats in Portugal where we have several articles about renting or buying in Portugal.
    You can also browse the blogs of expats living in Portugal on our blog platform BlogExpat.com, and they might share their experience :)
    Keep us informed of your finding and see you soon on the forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...