Forum Ecuador

Forum of expats in Ecuador: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Taxes in Ecuador

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by texkourgan, Jul 11, 2013.

1. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    When working and/or living abroad, it is usually necessary to pay taxes in that country.

Do you pay taxes in Ecuador? What are the main types of taxes (direct and indirect taxes)? What is the tax rate? Do you consider taxes high, low, or fair? :confused:

Is it necessary to report at certain times of the year in Ecuador? Are taxes deducted at the source?

Are there any dual tax agreements between Ecuador and your country?

Thank you for sharing your tips, questions and advice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jschinsky

jschinsky New Member

City:
    Denver
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, some Spanish & a wee bit of Russian
    Sorry, this is not so much a reply as it is a piggy-back question.

My current income is US Military Retirement (taxable in the US), and
    VA Disability compensation (Not taxable in the US)

Does anyone have anything I should know about any takes that may pertain to these sources of income?

Additionally, I am just about close enough to start withdrawing regular disbursements from a State-run retirement fund. I think this money was pulled out of my check pre-tax, but I'm not sure. Additionally, once I apply for benefits, the state will automatically ADD an additional 50% to the total in my account. If I'm a resident of Ecuador and I decide to cash this fund in early, will the US still subtract a huge tax penalty because I'm not 60 yet, or, a)Will I be able to keep it all without paying taxes and penalties to the US, or b) Will I have to pay taxes on this amount to Ecuador? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but this is a qualifying retirement account, normally subject to the same rules as a 401k if withdrawn early in the US.

Thanks in advance for any help..

J