Forum Barcelona

Forum of expats in Barcelona: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Visa Question: Relocating to Barcelona in May 2012

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by anikoshkin, Aug 20, 2011.

1. anikoshkin

anikoshkin New Member

City:
    Boston
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    Armenian (AM)
    Languages:
    Armenian, Russian, English,
    Hello everyone! I am new to this site so I apologize for the brevity of my message. I am planning on moving to Barcelona for about three months in May 2012. I have found a beautiful apartment that will be shared with a few others and a comfortable/convenient central location. While there, I plan on taking a few courses in language and the arts.
    I am aware that as a US citizen, I am allowed to stay in Spain for up to three months without a visa. I would be eligible to get a student visa however the classes I will be taking do not exceed a three month period. So...here is my question:
    Is it possible to stay in Spain for three months without a visa, come back to the US for a short stay (1 week, let's say to visit family and so forth) then go back to Spain and begin the three month length of stay without a visa again?
    I know this sounds like I'm trying to trick the system but I do know how painfully difficult it is getting a visa nowadays in Spain and since I have not lived there yet I don't want to make any serious commitments. Thanks so much and I hope to hear from some of you!

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    In theory you should be able to renew the visa for a second period of 3 months (making a total of 6 months). If you have a problem renewing, you will be able to return to the US an re-apply for another visa (however the more you apply the more they might become suspicious :confused: ) Extending an existing visa is often the preferred choice.

We have also a good news: this autumn we will publish a guide for expats in Barcelona. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, and of course come back often to share your experience with the expat community.