Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN USD Loans to study in UK (and the state of the dollar)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ninadel, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ninadel

ninadel New Member

Hello, I searched the forums for information on this and couldn't find anything.

I'm a US Citizen who's planning to get an MSc in London in 2008.

I understand that as a US Resident/Citizen I will need to borrow a US loan in US dollars. What I'm concerned about is the weakness and volatility of the US dollar and how this may affect me.

If I take out a large student loan in USD, I think I would be fine paying it back if I was earning a Euro or GBP salary* as long as the USD remained weak or continued to decline. However, if the USD rebounded wouldn't this inflate my debt?

I'm hoping someone who's well versed in economics & currencies can give me their view on this issue.

Also, I have a British boyfriend who could very well become my British husband in a couple of years, so a possible solution is to eventually take out a British loan to pay off the US debt while the dollar is weak.

Thanks in advance.

*I am planning on staying in the UK for at least a year on the international graduate scheme, which may switch over to a HSMP or spouse visa later.

2. gothelpd

gothelpd New Member

same circumstance perhaps

Sorry to stray away from your question, but...

I am an American citizen also and I am looking to travel to the UK to study, I also have a girlfriend who is in the UK and we want to get married some day.

How can I go about getting to the UK and being with her while studying in the UK?

I've been looking into this and I hope I can do something about it soon, I don't want to waste any more time... Her and I have been waiting to be together for 7 months.

Thanks