Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN US/UK Free to Marry Affidavit - Help!

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by DeletedUser, May 1, 2011.

1. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

Hello,

I will be applying for a U.K. marriage visa to allow me to marry in Scotland. In the list of supporting documents, it includes "Evidence to show that you are free to marry or enter into a civil partnership." However, no such document exists in the United States. I will not be traveling to the UK before my wedding in September, and thus will not be able to execute such an affidavit before the U.S. consulate in Scotland.

Does anyone know if this document is truly required when applying for a U.K. marriage visa? Or can I just produce this document when I finally arrive in Scotland to give to the registrar?

If the affidavit must be submitted for the UK Marriage Visa application, then will the British Embassy in DC (where I am living) or a nearby consulate allow me to execute such a statement before one of their consular officials instead?