Forum Spain

Community of expats Spain: share your experience on expatriation, get local information.

  Search the whole website

  User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules

Stay connected

✎ FR US citizen re-entering Spain through marriage to EU national

Discussion in 'Spain' started by sbjohnson, May 25, 2017.

  1. sbjohnson

    sbjohnson New Member

    May 25, 2017
    Likes Received:
    Living In:
    American (US)
    I am currently on a student visa in Spain that expires at the end of June, but I am living (and want to continue living) here with my partner, an Irish citizen. We plan to get married relatively soon (late summer or early autumn), although we haven't quite figured out the logistics of it (whether we will do it in Ireland or the US). I have heard that, in order to be in Spain legally, I am required to leave the country for at least three months following the expiration of my student visa. Is this correct? Is there any way around it?

    Supposing that I do return to the US for a few months and that my partner and I get married, do I need to apply for a visa to join him again in Spain (from what I have read, a process that would involve him applying first in Spain then me applying for a visa at the consulate in my state)? I was looking at the Boston Spanish Consulate's website, and there was some text that I found slightly confusing, but that seemed to suggest that I might not need to apply for a visa. Here is the text, under "Residence visa to reunite a family member with a citizen of Spain or an EU member":

    It must be obtained by all nationals that are not EU citizens or they are from the countries that require visas to travel to the Schengen countries to reunite for residence in Spain with a Spaniard or an EU citizen including Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland with whom they have the following family ties:

    1. Spouse. If you are not legally separated.

    American citizens and those of nationalities that do not require visa according the above mentioned list (Anejo 1 ICC) do not require a residence visa and must apply for their residence card once they arrive in Spain.
Similar Threads Forum Date
✎ EN Spanish Citizenship Application Question Spain Jan 12, 2013
✎ EN Spanish Citizenship Interview Questions Spain Sep 7, 2012
✎ EN Australian/Spanish Dual Citizenship Rights Spain Sep 3, 2012
Sanish Citizenship for EU - Residents Spain Sep 1, 2010
Eu Citizenship Spain Aug 4, 2010
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Recommended Service Partners

International Movers
International Movers
Compare up to six quotes from our network of moving companies that can help you plan your international move.
Expatriate health insurance
Expatriate health insurance
Apply online for free quotes on repatriation assistance and expatriate and foreign health insurance.
Find accommodation
Find accommodation
Uniplaces is an online marketplace for booking mid-long term accommodation with thousands of verified properties.
You will get discount hotel rates, last-minute deals, hot deals, special offers, with a real-time reservation and on-line booking.

Copyright dotExpat Ltd © 2018. All rights reserved.
Look for more information with dotExpat network: