Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN US citizen moving to UK on fiance visa

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by Ewok, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Ewok

Ewok New Member

hey

my girlfriend and I want to live together and get married

but i am very confused by this visa

do we have to have a date set at the registry office for them to ler her in?

also i am studying at the moment...in my first year at university....does this mean i am dependent on public funds ?( I get a studen loan!)

could someone give me a rundown of the supporting docus we would need?

2. Lady Kayla

Lady Kayla Member

You sound like the situation I and my fiance are in! currently, i have the same question about if the student loan is counted as public funds. X_x And what my fiance and I did is, we set a date with his families local church and got an official letter from them stating that. plus we also booked a reception and have evidence of that. In most cases registrar offices will not give you a letter confirming your date of marriage so it's better to, if you want to have more evidence, to go for a religious ceremony. Or you could just show evidence such as wedding invitations.
    also I'd like to direct you to this website. http://www.britainusa.com/visas/article ... 00&a=41031
    This should list you all the requirements you'll need.

3. Ewok

Ewok New Member

thanks a lot!

just to clarify...i am the one in the uk studying and she wants to move here to be with me...well we both do!

the loan thing worries me

the accommodation thing worries me (i would like us to look for a place together while she's here....as my contract runs out for this year in July)
    however family could defo support us in between time so that should be ok

i dont get the public funds thing at all.....does that mean she's not allowed to work until we are married?

4. Lady Kayla

Lady Kayla Member

I know how you feel about the loan thing. We don't understand that either. He does have a small job and incoming support from his family but we're afraid that it may not be enough. Also, I suggest you go on and find yall a place. It'd be easier if you had a place you two can call your own for the visa. But that's my advice. If you want to wait after you're married, you'll want a letter of support from your family saying they'll support you and let you live with them during the duration of getting married. And they'd also ned to supply a copy of their mortgage showing that the place they live in is theirs or they're privately renting it, etc and that they can support you two during this time.

Also, what they mean by public funds is Goverment help such as welfare or something. =P and no, she cannot work until after you two are married and have obtained a spousal visa. D: