Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN UK settlement process time question

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by salada1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. salada1

salada1 New Member

City:
    Yangling
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello,

I just applied March 25th for my UK fiancee/marriage settlement visa in Shanghai (I'm a US citizen)but in any case, judging by the process times listed on the UKBA website and counting off all working days we are still in week 3 grrrrr. There are so many holidays that just keep bumping the our process time back.

Anyways, my question is a concern over the process time since my Chinese visa expires the end of July. I stated in my application that I am planning on leaving here by June 8th for the UK since we have so many things to do for our wedding in August. I have an appointment to give notice on August the 9th and then our wedding August the 31st.

Hence, besides being overly stressed out to boot, it's come across my mind that "well" given my situation with my visa expiring here in China does anyone think my fiancee visa will be process in time either for my stated departure date June 8th or by the expiration of my visa here in China July 31st?

We are just so stressed. I tried to apply sooner but they have a rule that you can't apply sooner than 3 months before you are planning on entering the UK-sounds like a catch 22- so, in all regards if the time is longer, I'll be up the river without a paddle so to speak.

I mean, does anyone think or know if they take this time sequence of events in ones life under consideration when processing a settlement visa or do they just do what they need to do with no regards to the applicates commitments, obligations, or personal consequences in any given situation upon processing times......

I am so worried.

Thanks ahead of time for responses

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Sorry to hear about the pressure and stress of your visa applications. It is a common complaint, not made any easier by it's commonness.

According to the UK Border Agency,

...which I understand is not all that helpful. Have you been through their guide? It usually is a helpful tool to find out info specific to your scenario.

I believe the official stance is around 6 months for most visas. The UKBA's goal is stated as:

* decide 95% of postal applications within six months; and
    * decide 90% of applications made in person at a public enquiry office within 24 hours.

I would also refer you to similar threads on the forum, such as
    how-long-processing-time-for-marriage-visa-t25706.html

If anyone else has experience/tips to share, please do! And let us know how your application goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. salada1

salada1 New Member

City:
    Yangling
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    Wow, and yes checked my uk embassy here in China and turn around time was stated at 3 months not 6months.NO, one or no where on the UKBA's site have I every seen 6 months. And if it is at most 6 months why don't they let you apply sooner than 3 months before you want to travel? Also, I am "oh" just grrrrrrr. I will be stuck here in China if it's 6 months and our wedding plans for August will be aborted with quite a cost- I pray it doesn't take 6 months. Really, where or what country did you read 6 months on the UKBA's site, I haven't seen that length of time for my location or even for that fact in my home country USA ...Gee, I hope not. I will be in a lot of hot water here with my visa for China expiring in July....ok, over and out.

4. salada1

salada1 New Member

City:
    Yangling
    Living In:
    China
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English
    OK, updating events so far no word on my fiancee visa still processing. However, it's been brought to my attention by my boss in a indirect manner that the embassy may have inquired about my job here in China.This is not a problem since I have been working here for two years but the thought crossed my mind why my boss was making a lot of remarks about visa conversations not in regards to mine but just in conversation. Then she asked me after I get married this summer will I be returning to China to my job. I don't plan to, I plan on filing for permit stay and managing our house and my new step son. She then moved the conversation back to visas and then back to me working here after I get married in England will my husband return with me to my job "boy" this was getting tiresome then it dawn on me what if my fiancee visa depended on my job income here which it clearly doesn't have too because my fiancee makes enough to support me and his son which we only have him on the weekends anyways.

Anyhow, as the conversation went on I was wondering if I don't sign even a one term contract which is 3.5 months here will it effect me getting my fiancee visa? I mean if she returns my reference that I did not renew my contract here for any length of time would this have some bearings on me getting me fiancee visa? Two, I didn't purchase a round trip ticket and after talking to her she asked me when am I returning after the wedding grrrr so I thought gee should I have purchased a round trip ticket for a fiancee visa? I don't know, because I thought after we are married all we need to do is apply for permit to stay.

Now, I'm more worried because what if my fiancee visa depends on me returning and working and then applying for permit stay from here. I don't know but it seems funny to me and maybe my boss is just muscling me into signing some kind of contract for even one term after I'm married or maybe she is trying to hint to me that my fiancee visa is depending on me returning and working while I apply and wait again for the permit to stay after we are married. What do you think? May be I am just to jumpy and a nervous bride to be?