Forum Immigration UK

Forum of expats in the Immigration UK: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN U.S. Citizen marrying EU National in UK

Discussion in 'Immigration UK' started by solinvictus, Nov 15, 2013.

1. solinvictus

solinvictus New Member

City:
    Cardiff
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Italian
    I'm an Italian-American. I hold both passports - Italian and American. I have been living in Europe for the last 4 years. I currently live in the UK (I entered as an Italian National) with my fiance who's Italian. I am planning on going back to the U.S. next year and I would like to bring my fiance with me, but I would much rather do that as a married couple, rather than applying for a K-1 visa for her. My question is: how could I legally marry my fiance in the UK as a U.S. Citizen? Please note that spelling of my name in my American passport differs from my Italian passport. Therefore, since I will be bringing my future wife to live with me in the U.S., I will have to marry her as an American.

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    If I understand correctly, you basically want to get married in the UK as an American?

One resource (other than our Expat Guide to London), is the American Citrizen Services in London . They cover this question (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?p=288) a bit. It appears:

Unless you are, or are marrying, a UK citizen, there are a number of requirements you must fulfill before you can marry in England or Wales. This may include waiting and residency periods of at least 22 days before the wedding in England or Wales:

Let us know what you find out, or if you have more questions. Does anyone have tips or experience?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...