Forum Chile

Forum of expats in Chile: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Traditions and customs in Chile

Discussion in 'Chile' started by EasyExpat, Sep 26, 2018.

1. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hello everyone,

When living abroad, you often have to deal with some traditions that may seem surprising to you, and adapt to the local culture.

What is the habit you find strangest in Chile? On the contrary, maybe you have noticed different and interesting practices? What is a myth about your adopted country?

Have you noticed things not to do, or on the contrary certain that it is better to do in Chile?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expat experience.

2. MoonlitSoul$

MoonlitSoul$ Member
    Networker

City:
    Global
    Living In:
    Philippines
    Nationality:
    Australian (AU)
    Languages:
    English, Spanish and Tagalog
    I've had some amazing travel experiences in Chile, and there are a couple of things that really caught my attention. First off, the emphasis on punctuality is something else – being on time is a big deal, and it's kind of refreshing.

On the positive side, the people here are super friendly. I've found that locals are always open to sharing their traditions and customs, which adds a special touch to the journey.

I also stumbled upon a cool myth called "La Pincoya," a sea creature from Chilean folklore. It's intriguing how myths play a role in shaping cultural identity.

When it comes to-dos and don'ts, it's probably a good idea to steer clear of intense political discussions. But, diving into conversations about Chilean cuisine is a definite win – they're proud of their traditional dishes.

If someone is planning to explore Chile or just curious, Let me share this awesome stats on tourism in Chile https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-chile-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5558 It's been my go-to resource for my trip. Cheers to more adventures!