Forum Immigration Poland - Polska

Forum of expats in Immigration Poland - Polska: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Temporary residence card in poland

Discussion in 'Immigration Poland - Polska' started by USTA, Feb 20, 2008.

1. USTA

USTA Active Member

Hi All,
    I have a temporary residence card for poland and valid for 2 years.It will expire in June.I need to apply for a new temporary residence card .In fact, I married to a polish girl nearly 2.5 years ago and we currently are living in the uk.For this reason I am not eligible to apply for a permanent residence in poland.

Yesterday i phoned to polish embassy and i was told i need to go to poland to apply for a temporary residenced card.

It is very strange,why do i go to poland to apply for visa.I am living in the uk.

anyone experinced the same problem.could I please ask everyone to write ideas?

thank you

2. mashu

mashu Member

Hi ,usta what is ur status in UK?
    have u got any residence card or stamp in UK?

3. USTA

USTA Active Member

temp.residence card in poland

I applied for residence card in the uk in october 2007 and i am awating for home office decision.

thank you

4. uk

uk New Member

Where You decided to live in uk or poland??

5. USTA

USTA Active Member

we are going to live in the uk.

I am wondering can i apply for a polish pasport after completing 3 years of marriage.

thank you

6. uk

uk New Member

Hi usta you married to a polish girl nearly 2.5 years ago
    How long you where in poland?

7. USTA

USTA Active Member

we stayed around 10 months in poland.we moved to the uk in november 2007.

8. Yousafzai

Yousafzai Addicted member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Pakistani (PK)
    Languages:
    English, Urdu, Pashto
    You can't apply for Polish permanent residence card or a passport unless you live in Poland for a continous period of two years and have been married to a Polish national for three years. They have changed their legislation and now its 5 years but this change applies to people getting married on or after 1st January 2008. Since you were married before that, you will still be eligible for Polish citizenship if you live there for two years continously. Living in UK, its impossible and it doesn't matter how long you have been married to a Polish national.

9. uk

uk New Member

can u tell me from where u got this news about new legislation?

10. flighty

flighty New Member

residency application for poland

You guys seem to be knowledgeable on this stuff - can I add a query?

I am a business manager who may well be transferring from the UK to Poland and I would like some help to understand the application for temporary residency and whether you have to give proof of no criminal convictions. I had a conviction for assault when I was much younger (14 years ago) which was a stupid mistake I have since learned from and I am now in a respected position at a large company.

My worry is that I have heard there can be checks on this as part of the residency permit application (at the discretion of the authorities they can ask for evidence of no convictions in your home country?). My conviction was a long time ago and not serious (and it did not stop me getting a work permit for the US in the past) but I would like to know
    1) will I have to declare it (in the uk I don't have to declare it as it was so long ago) or supply evidence of no convictions
    2) would it affect my chances of getting a permit to stay and work in poland for 2 years

any info/advice would be appreciated!

11. vipservice

vipservice Member

City:
    Warsaw -Poland
    Re: residency application for poland

Hi, From the the 01.02.2009 the legislation has changed and you do not need to declare this fact anymore.
    If you'll come to Poland you do not need a work permit or residence permit (you only have to register your place of domicile in Poland) if you are a EU citizen or holder of a EU resident card.
    If you have any other question you can write directly to me:
    vip-service@vip-service.com.pl
    Rgds
    Mariusz

12. mafshar

mafshar New Member

City:
    POLAND
    Residency in Poland

Good day all,
    Just to add a quick question to the thread: I am an American citizen but have a "permanent residence" visa for the UK - allowing me to work and live in the UK until 2012. Am I legally allowed to stay in Poland if I have a British Permanent Residence permit (given it's EC). I don't need to work - I just want to learn Polish.
    Any advise would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Mo

13. vipservice

vipservice Member

City:
    Warsaw -Poland
    Hi Mafshar,
    If you are a Us citizen you can stay up to 90 days in Poland without residence permit on free of visa traffic agreement, then you'll have to leave Poland to the Uk or a non Shengen country and you can come back for next 90 days. The Uk card has nothing to do with Poland.
    vip-service@vip-service.com.pl

14. mafshar

mafshar New Member

City:
    POLAND
    Hi Mariusz,
    Thanks for the reply - but if I want to live in Poland from 1-2 years, I think I need to find a more permanent solution (I think there is limitation to how many times I can get 3 month visas). I know I still need to apply for a Residence card (Karta pobytu) but what's the easiest way of doing this? Can I just take one or two classes at a University and say I'm a student. Or do I need to find employment?? If I show them my British Residency Permit, that won't qualify me for a Karta Pobytu??
    I'm just here for 1-2 years to learn Polish - but am doing it through private tutoring.
    Mo

15. jesse singh

jesse singh New Member

City:
    warsaw
    Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Indian (IN)
    Languages:
    english,indian
    Re: Residency Application For Poland

is it really true that i dont have to show my convictions because its still on the application form for residency..my case is that i m indian and have polish fiancee and a baby...i am here in poland on visitor visa and we applied to court for marriage permission..in mean while we will apply my temporary residency..what documents do i need..do i have to tell them that how i was living in uk before when i met my fiancee...or anything related to uk..any help will be appreciated

16. celticbrooder

celticbrooder New Member

City:
    Wroclaw
    Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Deutsch
    Hello, this appears to be an old thread that I stumbled across while google-ing...
    short version:
    US citizen, first arrived PL 10.11.05 (pre-schengen)
    Married Polish citizen 13.06.08
    Applied for and was issued Karta Pobytu 25.08.08 (expired 04.08.09)
    Applied for and was issued 2nd K.P. 03.09.09 (expired 20.08.11)
    Was to apply for new (3rd, ...and permanent?) K.P. in June of this year but was leaving with wife and step-daughter for 2 months in France around end of June - K.P. would expire while on vaction.
    Went to Wroc Urzad Woj. and asked what to do: "no problem, with Polish marriage certificate and residence registration, Poland will not deny you access back into Poland and with U.S. passport and expired K.P., Schengen shouldn't have a problem (we were driving - no airports/customs, etc.)
    Returned to Poland end of August 2011 expecting to apply for permanent K.P. but was informed that, since previous card had expired, would need to apply for 3rd temporary K.P. - valid for 2 years - and then apply for permanent.
    For me it's just paperwork... one catch; without permanent K.P., I cannot permanently register my Polish-registered motorcycle and car (which have been registered in my name since '07); and banks will not recognize my otherwise relatively secure income source (a US Veterans permanent disability benefit) when interested in financing an apartment.

Am I correct in understanding that I need the poker equivalent of a royal flush of K.P.s (5 years) in my hand before I can apply for a permanent Karta Pobytu?
    FWIW, I am not interested in, nor am I applying for, Polish citizenship.
    p.s. - off subject: anyone have a difinitive answer regarding my VA diasbilty being taxable in Poland (it cannot, by law, be taxed at the source - the US)

17. jinx1954

jinx1954 New Member

City:
    Chicago
    Living In:
    Usa
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, Danish
    Hi everybody,

This thread has been most interesting, and I have a question of my own:

I am a US citizen living in Chicago on a pension and have been married to a Polish lady for 10 years. We have been thinking about moving to Poland to live, in order to be closer to her family. We are sure that my wife would have no probem moving to Poland as she is a Polish national, but we are unsure about how to go about getting a residency permit for me, as I am a US citizen. We were also wondering about access to the National Heath Services - would this be avaiable to us or would we have to have private insurance?

Hope to hear from you experts!!! :)

Jinx

18. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Polish residency & citizenship appear to be a complicated matter for all that apply with varying requirements & results for those that apply.

I would recommend starting with the EasyExpat guide to Warsaw and the section on visas. You may also want to check out how other expats in Poland have coped through the network or expat blogs.

For more in-depth information pertaining to residency & citizenship, consult your nearest Polish consulate.

Temporary residence (karta pobytu) is available in Poland if you can demonstrate that you will be staying in Poland for more than 3 months in order to work, study or for family reasons (e.g. marriage to a Polish citizen).

ELIGIBILITY TO ACQUIRE POLISH CITIZENSHIP
    The information below comes from the consulate in NYC (http://www.polishconsulateny.org/en/m.2 ... nship.html) :

Best of luck to you all

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. EigirdD

EigirdD New Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    Polski, English, Deutch, Español, Lietuvių
    Hi, maybe someone knows how can I get Spain residence permit if I live in Poland? Need a company name or something. Actually, thinking about this one http://www.bizbon.com/services-in-spain ... ce-permit/ but I still need your advice. I appreciate all recommendations.

20. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello,
    If you are Polish you don't need a temporary resident card to move to Spain. Once there, you might have to register if you are staying longer than 90 days but as a EU citizen you are free to go and live there anyway (within exercising your treaty rights).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...