Forum Immigration Canada

Forum of expats in Immigration Canada: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Student work permit and spouse

Discussion in 'Immigration Canada' started by carolandjo, Oct 27, 2011.

1. carolandjo

carolandjo New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Brazilian (BR)
    Languages:
    english portuguese italian spanish
    Hello,

I am an Italian citizen settled in the UK and I've been accepted to participate in a 4 months exchange program at Kwantlen University due to start on the 5th of Jan/2012. I would like to bring my wife, who is a Brazilian citizen, along with me to Canada. We went through the Instruction Guide, but some doubts still remain, such as:

1. Does she need to apply for the Temporary Resident Visa or she will only need to be listed on my application?

2. Do we need to make a separated applications for the work permit or is it automatically granted for the two of us after I get my visa issued (I am full time student)?

About my wife, I just found this article:

Work Available to Your Spouse or Common-Law Partner
    Eligibility
    Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a work permit if:
    – you are a full-time student at:
    a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
    – you have a valid study permit or
    – you have a valid work permit.
    Validity
    Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study or work permit.
    Note: Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students (including spouses or common-law partners of foreign students with post-graduation work permits) are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a labour market opinion from Service Canada.

So does it means basically that she can work and I cannot? If so, she can enter in Canada only with a Temporary Resident Visa and then apply for a Work Permit there?

Thanks for your help.
    Sincerely

Giovanni

2. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Have you made the move and received a visa? What option did you take? I hope everything went smoothly for you. It sounds like a very interesting opportunity. Best of luck! :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. carolandjo

carolandjo New Member

Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    Brazilian (BR)
    Languages:
    english portuguese italian spanish
    Hi,

We are in Canada, we made the application together and she got the visitors visa, and now we applied for the work permit in Canada for her, which we're still waiting. Although we heard that we could have applied together in the beginning or even when we arrived here.

But that is fine. Canada is wonderful :)

4. texkourgan

texkourgan Addicted member
    Networker Editor

City:
    Berlin
    Living In:
    Germany
    Nationality:
    American (US)
    Languages:
    English, a little Deutsch
    Congratulations! Glad to hear it worked out for you guys & best of luck with the work permit. What advice would you give to other people applying?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...