Forum Spain

Forum of expats in Spain: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Spain--leaving and re-entering

Discussion in 'Spain' started by jeffg, Apr 2, 2005.

1. jeffg

jeffg New Member

I am a US citizen and have been in Spain (without leaving the EU) for 6 months, clearly longer than my tourist visa had allowed. I want to continue living in Spain and am in the process of obtaining a temporary residency...my question is that if I return to the US for a short (10 day) visit, and try to come back to Spain just thereafter, if it is likely that I will not be allowed re-entry at the airport.

I understand that technically I would not be permitted, but was wondering if anyone who has been in a similar situation has had success leaving and re-entering... (for what it's worth, the entry-stamp that I received from Spanish immigration is hardly visible in my passport)

2. jeffg

jeffg New Member

leaving and re-entering Spain

Ok, I still haven't bought my tickets, but I have another idea.

What if I go to the U.S. from Portugal, and fly back into Portugal when I return (10 days later), then take the bus from Lisbon to Sevilla (that's where I am currently)? Perhaps at the airport in the U.S. they will not ask me for documentation on Spanish residence since I would be flying into another country?

Does anyone know if this would make a difference?

Thanks for your help, I am pretty desperate for any advice!!!

3. shakesrear

shakesrear New Member

City:
    France
    The entering/exiting laws apply to Schengen territory, not just to the individual countries. You may stay in Schengen territory for up to 90 days in any 6 month period. If you have stayed in Spain for 90 days and you leave Schengen territory for 10 days, you could come back to Portugal or any other Schengen country for only 10 days.

4. jeffg

jeffg New Member

thanks for the reply. I have a complete understanding now of the rules for re-entry when leaving the Schengen territory. I guess the type of feedback I'm interested in receiving is perhaps along the lines of personal opinions, experiences, ideas...like maybe if someone has been in a similar situation...

has anyone been living illegaly in Spain and tried going home to a non-Schengen country, for a short stay, and then tried to re-enter Spain? If so, please let me know what happened (as a type of heads-up!!!)

Thanks in advance for any personal feedback!!!!!!!!!

5. Viktorya

Viktorya New Member

City:
    Spain
    hi, im an american and have been living illegally in spain for three years now. i have gone back to the states every christmas and summer vacation for a month, so far no problems.

6. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    What do you mean by "illegaly" ? Do you work illegaly over there? (in that case the problem is also on your side, you do not have any social protection, pension...) or do you stay there with someone? Because you can probably do that on a tourist visa if you travel every 6 months.