Forum United Kingdom

Forum of expats in the United Kingdom: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

✎ EN Salary Sussex 45k pounds a yr

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by omertrik, Jul 26, 2011.

1. omertrik

omertrik New Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
    Hello All,
    I am considering moving to sussex area. I have a job offer for 45 k British pound a year. Is it enough to rent a 2 bedroom flat, buy a car and maintain a normal living (occasionally going eat out, some vacation)
    Can anyone give me some info on cost of leaving in this area?

Thanks for any posts here.

2. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    As I often say, the average income for a houshold in England is £26k. Therefore you should not have any problem. Especially as you are talking about Sussex and not London.

3. omertrik

omertrik New Member

Living In:
    Poland
    Nationality:
    Polish (PL)
    Languages:
    English
  4. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    It's interesting article. It is related to the debate about cutting child benefits for what the Tories call "top-earners" (without thinking that they wouldn't cut for a household earning 2x£44k but will cut if they earn 1x£45! :crazy: ) and taking example of friends of them making £150k/year (they obviously live on another planet).
    The author makes a very good summary of the issue here:
    However you will notice that the article concentrates on London, which is not Sussex. Moreover it says:
    That is a shame that they did not provide the median as you would have seen immediately that it is much lower (a teacher earns £25k, a lot of wages such as Tesco etc make £15k), despite what the journalist says.

PS: I had a look at the 2009 Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings as pointed out in the article. Indeed the median (not average as I wrote above) is £25,800 in 2009 (with the crisis, things have not changed much). You also see that the median for London is £627x52=£32624 (nearly half the average of £60,959 quoted in the article ! :think: )
    In Sussex - South East, the median (and close to the average as all the high salaries are located in London due to the banker bonuses) is £26707.