Forum Gibraltar

Forum of expats in Gibraltar: Ask questions and participate to discussions concerning expatriation.

Search the whole website

User's Charter  -  Help  -  Terms and Rules  -  Privacy Policy

☛ EN Advice Retirement in Gibraltar

Discussion in 'Gibraltar' started by EasyExpat, Aug 22, 2018.

1. EasyExpat

EasyExpat Administrator
    Staff Member

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English, Français
    Hello everyone,

Retiring outside your home country in good conditions is not a privilege for the better off.

If you stopped working and chose to retire in Gibraltar, what advice would you give to future expats who would be tempted to do the same?

Have you chosen to fully (or mainly) enjoy your retirement in Gibraltar, or on the contrary go there only part of the year?

Have you decided to settle in Gibraltar for tax reasons or to enjoy advantageous living conditions, the climate, or for family reasons?

What are the specific formalities to retire in Gibraltar? Is the health system satisfactory or do you have specific medical coverage?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice. :cool::thumbup:

2. alicefrances

alicefrances New Member

City:
    prestwick
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    British (GB)
    Languages:
    English French Spanish
    I lived in Alicante Province for 4 decades but last year returned to UK .I bought a home but cannot settle.
    I am thinking of relocating to Gibraltar .I was a frequent visitor when I lived in Spain &,since my daughter died recently, I only have a grown up granddaughter in the Highlands of Scotland that I rarely see.
    So basically, on my own & considering a rental which would simplify any problems when I die.I am in my eighties now.
    Any advice would be helpful.Thank you.

3. Cyrilexpat

Cyrilexpat Administrator
    Staff Member Editor

City:
    London
    Living In:
    United Kingdom
    Nationality:
    French (FR)
    Languages:
    Français, English, Italiano (un pó)
    Hello Alices and welcome to EasyExpat.com,
    It will mainly depends on your budget I think (and Gibraltar is expensive). Although there is no VAT in Gibraltar nor capital gains tax, you still have income tax to pay, stamp duty, etc.
    The cost of renting is probably the most expensive as this is just a strip of land, with nowhere to expend to (and since Brexit the possibilities to move to the border on the Spanish side have seen a draw back). Therefore you can expect to pay £1000 to £3000 for renting a home there (the UK estate agent Savills displays properties).

In any case, please share here your findings and best of luck :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...